I want to breastfeed, but don't want to leave dh and the kids out on feeding the baby too tips please

ok so I plan on brestfeeding. I am a st at home mom an this baby is due auguest 9th. The thing is my kids that are almost 6 and 3 years talk about wanting to feed the baby and stuff and I know dh wants to feed baby too. My 2 other babies were bottle fed. Well I did tell the kids at first they can't feed the baby only mommy can cause mommy has to feed the baby in a special way, but I did tell them they will get to feed the baby. I mean I hate to tell them tand dh they can't feed the baby. I also plan on pumping just incase I go out without baby which is going to be very rare since I don't drive and I don't go anywhere without my dh and the kids. Anyway, how often should I let them feed the baby? Cause I know if one feeds the other one is going to want too. But yet I also want to feed the baby still at the breast as long as the baby will do it. Please give me some ideas or tips or whatever.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i have a 6yr old. and i know that some people will want to feed my baby due July 18th. I told my daughter that i feed the baby with my boobs. Everyone understands. I told my daughter she can hold and kiss and play with the baby as much as she wants, but mommy feeds the baby. I told DH that i wasn't going to pump until after 3 months, when my milk supply is sufficient enough. After 3 months I'll pump part time and let some people feed the baby sometimes.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 6:01 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Feeding the baby is nto the only way of bonding, there is not any reason why they should feel the need to do so. Let them hold, snuggle, and play with the baby- have skin to skin time, etc. Never a reason they need to feed to bond.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:08 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• They get to do things that are MORE FUN than feeding. BATHING is loads more fun than feeding; baby pays attention when being bathed!

DRESSING the baby is more fun, too.

Diapering... well, not so fun but still more interactive than feeding is.

Feeding is about the most boring thing you can do with a newborn... they're zoned then!

Answer by gdiamante at 12:11 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• pump and prepare in some bottles specifically not to confuse the baby with the bottle/breast confusion thing
    sweetamgurl2011

Answer by sweetamgurl2011 at 12:07 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I just had a baby and I have a 5 year old dd and a 7 year old ds. I pumped a few bottles at first and let them feed her once or twice...after that they didnt really care to do it anymore. They have "more important" things to do....lol

They will hold her some but get tired of her easily. She doesnt do much...they say....hahaha.

So dont worry so much...plan to pump a bottle or two...maybe more and then more than likely they will be fine with it.

My 7 year old is fascinated with the breastfeeding so I think just seeing her feed takes the place of bottle excitement. Know what I mean.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:13 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Pump & let them bottle feed. This can get baby used to bottles of breast milk also since you plan on pumping for when you are away.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 12:18 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• BEST bet is tell them that no one feeds baby but mom if mom is home, they can feed baby if mom needs to go somewhere. They can play with baby, sing to baby, change baby, dance with baby etc etc etc theres no need to have ANYONE feed your child but you. This is actually promoted by society that is used to bottlefeeding, if you want Bfing to be the norm, make it that in your house. I have 4 kids, my older kids have never fed their younger siblings when I have been home, hubby offered once while I was working and they didn't want to, but they have done most everything else.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 12:25 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• There are PLENTY of things they can do to be involved with baby besides feeding. If you WANT to pump, and allow them to bottle feed, feel free, but know that sometimes, after a baby is introduced to a bottle, they might prefer the faster flow, and give you a hard time nursing. Personally, I wouldn't do it, but you do what you feel is best. After 6 mos, baby can have solids, and they can help with those, if you prefer. In any case, remember that every time baby eats, milk should be removed from your breasts, so if she's having a bottle feed, you should be pumping at that time.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:56 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• After nursing is well established between you and baby, pump a few bottles and let each kid try as a special treat. It's harder to reason with kids so I would make them the priority, I'm sure DH can be understanding that breastfeeding is important to you and he can spend time with baby in other ways :-)
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 2:05 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I pumped 2 bottles one for my daughter who is 7 to feed the baby with and one for my hubby to feed the baby with they each got to do it once and that was the end of it now i only put the baby to the breast and i have a small amount pummped incase it is ever needed because i am not around.
    Sage11

Answer by Sage11 at 2:51 PM on Mar. 16, 2011