Why do we provide more protection for pets than we do for farm animals?

Farm animals and pets are treated very differently under state and federal laws.

Are they not both living creatures deserving of proper care and maintenence?

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/15/some-animals-are-more-equal-than-others/?ref=opinion&nl=opinion&emc=tya1

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 12:07 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Because if we were to give farm animals (creatures USED TO BE OUT DOORS) the same pampering as our pet - you couldn't afford to purchase anything they produce from Milk to Meat.

twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:14 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• A few observations:
    1. We provide more protection for pets than we do for children in many instances.
    2. We are illogical in the way that we right laws.
    3. The author appears to have no direct experience working on a farm or ranch and believes every extreme thing that hits the news is commonplace.
    4. Meat and animal production is not carried out away from the public eye. Just drive out into the country. The cattle are right there in front of you. They are not hidden. Same with chicken houses and pig farms. I've been. It's easy. Ask for a tour.
    5. We value cheap food to the point that we have turned traditional farming and ranching operations into commercial factories.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 12:19 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• This is one of the reasons I raise my own. I follow animal welfare, not animal rights nuttiness (and it is ~ you haven't lived until you argue with a nutter that insists that bulls are just big, cuddly, misunderstood pets ~ or worse). I am also positive that most people WOULD stop eating meat if they ever wandered on a factory farm or accidentally ended up in a slaughterhouse. People are far removed from their food supply these days. Some have never seen a cow, and most wouldn't know a tomato plant from a cuke unless they were hanging full and ready for harvest. And most want it cheap, so they don't care how poor the quality is (meat, veggies, and fruit!).

I raise my own. I have pigs named ham and bacon, chickens named KFC, bunnies named stew. I tell them NOT to love me, but they do. They are happy, spoiled, well fed, and live in far bigger pens than my little 7x14 camper lol. The AR nutters can take a hike ...
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:02 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Because people don't eat their pets. If people were to give farm animals the same consideration as Sparky, they might have to reconsider eating them. So meat and animal product production is carried out away from the public eye.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 12:09 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Why do we provide more protection for animals in general than we do humans??? There are laws that protect animals, but it is totally legal to kill our unborn humans & throw them away like trash... what a sad & sick society!
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 1:07 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• If you say so. Our SPCA does farm runs all the time so I don't see a difference there. There are still some places that keep their farm animals in less than good conditions but most states have laws against it.
    We do eat farm animals and not our pets but that's nothing new and it isn't going to change.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:24 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Raised my children while raising all the farm animals mentioned above as well as turkeys (mean suckers) and the beef for commercial profit. Learned long ago that urban dwellers are often impossibly ignorant about farm and ranch life and the people that provide the food. Some factory farms may short-cut humane methods but they don't last long because food animals don't gain weight rapidly when unduly stressed. Most of what you eat is provided to you by people that produce for a profit...darn old capitalist pigs! We didn't wring our hands and whine when problems came up...we just fixed them and went on about our business with our dogs and cats and horses as pets by our side. Feel really sorry for those that have not experienced all that rural living has to offer. Do try to resist anthropomorphizing animals...it is unhealthy for the animal.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 2:10 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I treat them the same
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 12:15 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Different Government Agencies Handle the pets vs. livestock.. Research a chicken~ As pet vs as profit.... See how many government agencies inspect and oversee the chicken as livestock and various parts of the chicken's life and purpose...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:08 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• cute factor

yum factor

&

money making ability...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:08 PM on Mar. 16, 2011