How old is it ok to leave your child alone in the tub??

k.stark

Asked by k.stark at 12:08 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think as long as kids are taking baths they should be supervised. Once they graduate to showers the supervision can stop. My oldest is 4 and I always stay within earshot and check on him frequently.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 12:13 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Oooo I wouldnt do a one year old alone... :(
    Anonymous

• My son is almost 3 and the only time I turn my back or leave the room is if I forgot a towel or washcloth. I am still not comfortable with letting him take a bath with out me in the room with him.
    logansmommy711

Answer by logansmommy711 at 12:17 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Well my four year old no longer takes baths because the doctor said soaking in the bathtub is the reason for her severe dry skin. But I would leave her in there to go her clothes or a towel but never for a long period of time.
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 12:18 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I dont' think it is about age, it is more about being ready I would say around 5/6. My youngest is 7 and 8 when they are in the tub, I am cleaning organizing the cabinets doing something so that I am close by usually doing stuff in the bathroom but sometimes step out of the bathroom and do stuff but am very, very close by.

I also check in on my 12 knock everything all right.

I think it is dangerous but you want them to grow.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:18 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• It's not a matter of knowing how to swim. If a child were to stand up (playing or for whatever reason) and fell and hit their head they could drown. And my boys always, always at some point stand up in the tub.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 12:19 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• At about 2 I started doing things near by so I could still hear every thing and peek in every couple of min. At 6 I started letting DS close the door for baths.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:21 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I have a one year old and a four year old... they love baths and they take them together... i have left to go get things or put something away, but like others I am never out of earshot and i only leave for a few minutes at a time... people have been taking baths since the beggining of time and while there have been some freak accidents and a parent should be cautious and keep an eye on their kids, I think they know when their children are ready to have a little more space, it's how they learn.
    Mrs.KV

Answer by Mrs.KV at 12:26 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Well my dd is 5 and I will put her in the tub and then leave to do other things close by....like put away laundry ect. But I am always within earshot and listen constantly.

I am afraid she might slip and hit her head and go under even though she is big enough to sit there alone.
    Anonymous

• my girls take baths together. My oldest will be 6 next month and my other daughter is 3 and they take baths together, but without me. My older one is pretty good about yelling for me if there is a problem and I make them keep the door open and if it get quiet I go check on them. If for some reason they take one by themselves I don't leave my 3 year old alone, but my almost 6 year old takes one alone. I use to let my oldest take a bath with me in the kitcehn or something (well play in the tub) with very little water and door open when she was 8 months-18 months, but that is because it was all on one floor and I could see her from the kitchen and the livingroom, but then we moved here and there was an upstairs so then I started staying in the room with her until she was about 4
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 12:14 PM on Mar. 16, 2011