Do you use artificial sweetener?

I hate water. I have tried & tried to drink as much of it as possible, but for some reason i just don't like it. I get all dramatic when i have to drink it. I don't do well with too much sugar either though, so i don't drink too much juice or soda. I do dehydrate sometimes. I have talked to my Dr. about it & she suggested drinking crystal light. She said nothing is better than water, but sugar free beverages are better than drinking nothing. I think they taste OK, not terrible....

So, just curious if you eat foods with artificial sweetener, or use it by itself. I know some people say it's not good for you...

samurai_chica

Asked by samurai_chica at 12:33 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Health

• I used to. As a diabetic when I was diagnosed I switched to diet soda, crystal light and using splenda in coffee....drank it and used it for years, but yes it's really not good for you, it can make it difficult to lose weight and can even promote obesity. When I cut it out of my diet completely about 2 weeks ago, yes it was a shock to get used to truvia in my coffee and no more diet drinks) but I lost 4 pounds after being stuck at a plateaux for almost 3 weeks. So, cutting it out was definately the right thing to do.

You can find flavored seltzer water that doesn't use artificial sweeteners or sodium, such as the Adirondack brand, or you can flavor water with lemon juice, berries (frozen or fresh) or cucumber slices. I'm so glad I cut the artificial crud and I know my body thanks me too. Truvia is a brand name of stevia, which is a natural sweetener, I don't like the after taste, but i'm weaning myself to black coffee
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:39 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• OMG, I can't believe a doctor would recommend an artificial sweetener. Plus, it also has artificial colorings. ICK! The absolutely WRONG thing to do if you're trying to get healthy.
    Anonymous

• I would use stevia before using an artificial sweetner. Maybe put a couple drops of it in a glass of water and squeeze a lemon into it. Healthy lemonade.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 12:37 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• My hubs is currently using Nuvia - supposes to be better/different/healthier than those others.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:34 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• My husband does but I hate it.  I hate water as well so I always use drink crystals, which are really good and I can drink a fair bit of water using them.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:37 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Yuck Yuck - NO. I hate the after taste.
    Have you tried sticking a lemon wedge in a glass of water?
    I also buy the powder drink mix of gatorade and mix it up weaker than it says to... just to give the flavor.
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 12:38 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I use splenda a nd other sugar substitutes for baking. I also add sugar free drink mixes to my water sometimes. I wouldn't suggest crystal light- I don't think it tatses very good. Try the generic brand from Target or Walmart.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:47 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• The only artificial sweeteners I use is when I have crystal light drink mixes. I have started drinking the carbonated water-- (like LaCroix brand) - it is water and some hint of fruit flavor (like lime, lemon, orange), but has 0 calories, 0 sodium, 0 sugar/sweetener.
    I really like it and when I am wanting a soda I will grab one of those instead - as it has the 'bubbles' like soda but no sweet or calories like soda.
    If I have plain water I like to put either a few squeezes of fresh lemon or lime in it for taste.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:47 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Sugar all the way. I can't stand the taste of 'diet' drinks...
    PrincessStacy

Answer by PrincessStacy at 1:38 PM on Mar. 17, 2011