My grandson who is 3 is having a baby sister join him in a few months is it ok for me to buy him a baby doll to get him ready for the new baby? Can I give it to him at his mom's baby shower?

memeone

Asked by memeone at 12:34 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My immediate reaction is No, I wouldn't do that. And I have no reason for it.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:36 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• My son had dolls, to me a toy is a toy... I would ask his mom though. Some parents are VERY uncomfortable with the idea of their children having toys that are marketed for the opposite sex.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:36 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I think it would be a wonderful idea... unless his parents have a problem with boys playing with dolls. Some do- that would be the only concern, I think.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 12:37 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I think it is an awsome idea! :)
    myboysRmyhero

Answer by myboysRmyhero at 12:39 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Talk to his parents first just to make sure it is ok, but I see absolutly nothing wrong with it.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 12:44 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I would talk with the parents first, a lot of people would be uncomfortable with this (wether this is right or wrong is not the idea here, it's what each set of parents would want for thier own child.) I think it's a neat idea, but if the new parents are uncomfortable with it I would say not to do it.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:49 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• My son was just over 2 when his sister was born. He had a 'baby' to tend to before DD arrived. It was my old Cabbage Kid preemie. Of course, DS would drag his baby around by the foot and toss him into the closet when he was bored of him. LOL! When DD was born, my son decided to ditch his doll in favor of a stuffed toy instead. That thing went EVERYWHERE with us - he named it "Baby." He'd make himself a sling out of a baby blanket (well he needed help but he had the right idea.) He'd feed his "baby" and his favorite - he'd burp his baby. He LOVED to burp his baby. He'd change it's imaginary diaper too. IN other words, I think it's fantastic and it's helpful. If his parents are game, go for it!
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:59 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I think its a great idea, if his parents say yes.
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 1:10 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I personally think thats a great idea. I wouldn't buy him a girly pink one but a simple, baby doll just to show him how to hold a baby, get him used to the idea. I'd let my 3 year old son hold a baby doll but I would make sure his own parents are comfortable with the idea. Some aren't.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:11 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• no not for a boy
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 10:20 PM on Mar. 17, 2011