Why is it ok to hang the Star of David but other signs of faith?

My community just put up the Star of David on lightposts, but no other signs to celebrate other religions. Just snowmen. How does this celebrate the holidays for all faiths, if any?

thundernlight

Asked by thundernlight at 2:36 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Not sure it does...
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 2:42 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• It may be up for Hanukkah which is from Dec. 21 to Dec. 29th.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 2:46 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Is your community mostly Jewish? If so, that makes sense.

Why not contact your local civic leaders and ask them?
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 2:47 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• It's a Jewish symbol that represents King David didn't win the battle by his own power but by God's help. It also means that our only hope is to put our trust in God. I don't think there's really any holiday signifance.
    T.C.38

Answer by T.C.38 at 2:51 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Even if it's not mostly Jewish some communities still put up the star of David during the holiday season.. I believe they even put up the star of David or the Menorah at the whitehouse. For Christmas the christmas tree and for Hanukkah the Star of David or the Menorah.. they are both holidays.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 2:52 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• My community doesn't really have a 'known' faith. A good mix, I guess. Which is why I was surprised to see a sign of only one faith put up. And, after living here for 11 years, this is all new.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 2:52 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• You've lived there for 11 years and no one has ever put that up b4? Maybe someone new moved in.
    T.C.38

Answer by T.C.38 at 2:54 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• lol i bet the jewish people have been asking themselves the same question about crosses, nativity scenes, and christmas trees for years.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 2:56 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Well I guess it depends on who owns the property? Is it a privately owned community? If so is the owner jewish? If so then he/she has every right to do so.
    Anonymous

• Even if it's public property... i.e. city hall, court house etc. a Jewish holiday symbol for Hanukkah can go up just like a nativity scene can be put up in the same places for the Christmas holiday.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 3:05 PM on Nov. 24, 2008