Swelling? Anyone else feel like an Oompa Loompa?

I am 31 weeks now and my ankles and calves are swelled up huge! My ankles look like softballs and my calves are now almost the size of my thighs!

My MIL told me last night that I should eat a hard-boiled egg a day with no salt and it will help with the swelling. Have you guys ever heard this before?

I have my feet propped up all day at work and drink TONS of water day and night....as soon as I get home from work I elevate them too, but nothing helps. This afternoon is my Doctors appointment and I wore my capris today so will have to flash the cankles for doc and see what she thinks.

If you are swelled and puffy what are you doing to combat it?

BlandBaby

Asked by BlandBaby at 1:03 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Pregnancy

• The only relief I found was keeping my feet elevated and drinking plenty of water. Never heard of the egg thing before.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:04 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• i havent heard that before actually, but its worth a shot! i got REALLY swollen with my 2nd child.. i couldnt wear flip flops or ankle socks without cutting off circulation. it was really gross, and i got worried and went to the OB to make sure it wasn't a blood pressure problem. luckily it wasn't, so she told me to start sleeping on the side that isn't swollen, and drink lots and lots and lots and lots of water! it did help.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:05 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• When I swelled it meant I was doing to much. I got off my feet, put them up while I drank a bunch of water. The more water you drink the less you will retain. At your next Dr. visit, make sure they check your blood pressure...In fact if they are that big you might want to give them a call now....just to be safe. :) Your MIL might be right about sodium...make sure you are watching how much you are taking in..read the labels on everything.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 1:06 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• i NEVER got swollen. i drank gallons of water and worked out every day. i think that had something to do with it...however after i gave birth my entire body swelled. arms, face, everything got swollen for a day after giving birth. i looked like i was 200 lbs :(. it only lasted a day but that's when everyone took photos. i made everyone delete all photos of me
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 1:07 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I'm 25 weeks and I'm swelling like a balloon...My hand wrist and fingers are swollen and feet and ankles...but I'm going 4 my doctors appointment tomorrow...so I'm going to tell my doctor bout it and they will probably put me on a water pill...but with your legs and ankle and feet elevate your legs with a pillow or something...
    EveRenee2011

Answer by EveRenee2011 at 1:08 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• The last 10 weeks were rough on me, with the swelling.
    My legs felt so tight. It only got worse as I hit 37 weeks. He told me the only way to make it go away is to have a baby.
    Luckily, it was just me retaining fluid, my BP wasn't a problem.
    And at 37 weeks and 2 days, my water broke. :)
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 1:09 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I was told to cut back on my sodium intake. Drink alot of water. Stay off my feet whenever possible and when laying down to put a pillow under my feet.
    michelle.coppes

Answer by michelle.coppes at 1:23 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• 32 weeks for me. Not so much swelling- but I definitely have the waddle down. It's going to be a long 2 months lol:)
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 2:41 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Poor girl! I didn't sweel much with my son, and that was through the summer, born aug. lol. Hopefully you will get relief soon, if not, in 9 short weeks!
    Ambie0526

Answer by Ambie0526 at 5:00 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Don't eliminate sodium, just use it more mindfully--like don't cook with it, and only salt to taste. Your body really does need it!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 1:28 AM on Mar. 18, 2011