Have things changed that you don't have to feed certain fruits and veggies before others when starting solid foods with babies?

augsmom

Asked by augsmom at 1:09 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was always told to start with cereal of course and then go to a vegetable.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 1:10 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• After cereals - like CARROTS, for example. My OLD list says that you have to wait until AFTER six months.
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 1:11 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Ditto...told to start with cereal and then go to veggies.
    Anonymous

• They may say after 6 months for a lot of the orange veggies because over doing them can cause the baby to get to much something, beta-carotene maybe... causing there skin to actually get an orangish hue. I don;t know for sure, I just seem to remember hearing that somewhere.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:13 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• You should be waiting until AFTER 6 months for ANY solids. There is plenty of science to back that up.
    Anonymous

• Theres no particular order for foods AND cereal is not necessary
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 1:51 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• If you wait until at least 6 mos of age, you can start with pretty much whatever you want.. Good starter foods are banana, avocado, and sweet potato. Cereal is fine if you want to use it, but it's not necessary if you don't want to.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:52 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• BTW the reason they say wait til 6 months for carrots is because of nitrates in fresh carrots..jarred foods makes no difference
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 1:52 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I was told cereal first then veggies the fruit
    Sage11

Answer by Sage11 at 2:46 PM on Mar. 16, 2011