How can you increase your milk production after returning to work?

Had baby six weeks ago and it seems like I'm not producing enough milk. How can I increase milk production???

augsmom

Asked by augsmom at 1:10 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There are tons of ways to raise supply but BEST thing is to remember that often moms are thinking decrease in pumping is a decrease in supply, its NOT. ALso many moms decrease in pumping amounts because they were getting way more than needed anyways.

Make sure your LO is not fed more than 1-1.25 oz an hour, thats 2-3 oz bottles every 2-3 hours, no matter the age your milk adjusts to babies age. ONLY Bf at home no bottles, nurse before leaving and nurse upon returning home.

Pump once a day everyday no matter what to keep response to the pump.

Fenugreek pills 9-12 a day and 80 oz of water a day, oatmeal helps alot too.

How much are you pumping in how many hours and how much is baby taking a day?
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 1:15 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Why do you feel you're not making enough? And is there a specific amount you need to have pumped on a daily basis?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:49 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I pumped at work for 9 months. Here's what I did to help maintain production: brough a picture of my daughter with me when pumping, helped with let down (weird I know), drank LOTS of water, limit caffeine, eat healthy 3 meals a day, get plenty of rest and keep the same schedule of pumping every day just as you would if you were with your baby (every 2 hrs or whatever it may be). There are also products like Fenugreek (sp) but never tried them. Good luck!
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 2:02 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I tried the Fenugreek seed pills they are great and only about $6-$8 so there not to expensive either :)
    Sage11

Answer by Sage11 at 2:42 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I just started back to work 2 weeks ago and pumping on her eating schedule which leaves me pumping 3x a day. I've increased my milk by eating oatmeal, lots of water, and drinking mother's milk tea...it's cheap and I buy it online a puritan.com
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 5:13 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Make sure not to go longer than 3 hours without breastfeeding or pumping. I would use herbs too. Breastea has worked great for me and I exclusively pump. You can get it from breastea.com.
    bigmamaisback

Answer by bigmamaisback at 10:56 AM on Mar. 22, 2011