International Baccalaureate school?

I am trying to find out more about this system of education, yes I have gone to the official site but wanted real time experience information. A local school that my daughter might end up going to next school year is changing to this system and I want to know a lot more about it. So would like to hear from moms who have kids in a school that uses the system or teachers that teach the system.

Thanks :)

MumaSue

Asked by MumaSue at 1:12 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in

• Previous post is right. IB is not for everyone. It is more subjective in it's concepts; whereas the AP program is more concrete. Students in the IB program are asked to think outside of the box and be able to prioritize and meet deadlines. Initially, students who are more structued and strive to produce the "right" answer have difficulty in IB programs because there may not be a "right" or "wrong" answer. They also typically don't have their huge projects and exams until the end of the school year. This can be difficult for some students because they don't really take the school year seriously until the end. By this time, they are often involved with extra curricular activities and/or working part time jobs and find limited time to complete projects and study for exams. On the flip side of this, it is a more advanced program but is comparable to AP.
    Crimsonpope31

Answer by Crimsonpope31 at 10:45 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Most schools offer IBS systems only for SOME students - it isn't for the entire program.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:14 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• All teachers will use the instructional strategies in their classrooms. They will implement the IB Primary Years Program first then each year more teachers would be trained until the program is fully implemented as a Middle Years Program. Regardless of how many students will "officially" be recognized as using this system, all classrooms will use it.
    MumaSue

Comment by MumaSue (original poster) at 2:13 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• For high school? I know how the IB program works in high schools. A great advantage to it is that kids can often end up skipping a year of college because of their test scores on the higher level exams. I myself did a hybrid of IB and AP classes, because the way that IB worked when I was in school was that you had to choose some "higher level" classes and some lower level classes (kind of like choosing a major in college), and I didn't want to limit myself in that way.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 6:27 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• IB is a very rigorous program; your child will be doing lots of writing, and learning much about the world. IB is not for everyone.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:34 AM on Mar. 17, 2011