How do I get her to stop messing with the tree????

I have a 1yr old who isnt walking yet so she crawls everywhere and when she goes near the tree since it is her height she tries to grab the branches and tinsle and lights. I dont have any decor near the bottom so she doesnt get them but she tries and almost knocks it over. How do I get her to not mess with it? I dont want to have to take it down because my 2yr old likes it and it wouldnt be fair to him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Can you put a gate up around the area she can get to? lol aw that is cute sorry I know its dangerous GL..
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 2:43 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• No it is in my living room its the place I could put it. There is no way to block it off, would it be wrong for me to tell her "no" and tap her hand if she touched it???? Haven't yet So dont get mad just wondering.
    Anonymous

• I don't know that she'd understand what you're telling her...maybe just try saying "no" and taking her away from the tree. She jsut may have to be kept out of that room for awhile, at least when you're not there to block the tree! Sorry!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:54 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Would she even understand "no"??
    Anonymous

• That is typical of a one-year-old. My son won't leave the train alone. It will run around the tree. I have to keep him out of the room--out of sight, out of mind. They are curious and learn and play with everything. Enjoy it because soon they won't be as interested in it. You can even get some great pics. Be thankful that you don't have a cat. You would never get it out of the tree unless it tipped it over.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 2:57 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• i have a 1 year old and I know being that you also have a 2 year old that you don't have a ton of time, but I have to be VERY consistant with my son and the NO's - but I also don't have another child so I have the time to walk around with him incase he does something naughty - I think it's too young for the hand tap though - JMO
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:20 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• But she would understand the "no"? Because it really doesnt even work with my son now. I've stopped thinking bput the hand tap. Just going on the no now.
    Anonymous

• I had to buy one of those super large gates that has the pivoting panels. That was the only way to do it for me last year! He would understand "no" but was just so darn curious that his curiosity would lead him into trouble constantly. If you do have room for one of those pen/gates check out a store like Home depot, Lowes, or a place that carries pet supplies. I found the same gate at Farm and Fleet for 20 bucks cheaper than I bought at Babies R Us!!! Same thing just marketed to a different 'group'.
    Christi12

Answer by Christi12 at 3:48 PM on Nov. 24, 2008