Help non vaccinating moms!!!

i know there are waivers for exempting out of mandatory vaccinations for children. What if your insurance company is threatening to charge you a higher deductible for refusing vaccines? This seems illegal to me, has anyone had luck fighting something like this?
thanks for your help!!!!

happy2bmom25

Asked by happy2bmom25 at 1:14 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Health

• I can somewhat understand the logic of not taking preventative measures and ultimately it costing more IF your child got sick but I also think it's a lot of bunk. There are natural ways to prevent illness too and there sure isn't any kind of discount in deductible for that. With that "logic", a person who is sick more often than one who is not should be charged differently than someone who only goes in maybe once a year for a checkup? That sure as heck isn't happening.

I think it's simply strong-arm tactics to force vaccination (I selectively vax, have what I consider to be the worst insurance ever, and have never had that problem). I would fight it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:32 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• As someone who works in the medical industry I can't tell you if it is legal but I can say it makes sense that if you are refusing what they consider preventive care your rates would go up based on risk factors. I don't think it is meant to be bullying just them covering their butts if anything happens. If they are legitimately being threatening then I think THAT would be illegal.
    Anonymous

• I choose to vaccinate but agree that does make sense. Insurance companies I have dealt with always look at preventive care and pre-existing conditions. If your child lets say gets the measles with complications then it was preventable, and theyd have to treat them costing more money. Make sense?

Answer by gemgem at 1:23 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Its your choice thats YOUR baby! No one should make us feel pressured to vaccinate our babies if we choose not to! I dont think ins. companys have any control? do they? I chose not to vaccinate and am happy with my choice!
    Hailees_mama89

Answer by Hailees_mama89 at 1:16 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• NO idea on that on.
    I vaccinate, but here is a bump.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 1:18 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I also have a question. Once you put your child in school, doesn't school require them to be vaccinated?

I know a lot has changed since I was there, but, when I was younger, pretty sure you had to be vaccinated to attend school.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 1:19 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Insurance can and will charge you higher co-pays, premiums etc. for refusing what is considered preventative care.
    Anonymous

• It is great we have the freedom of choice as Americans. But the consequences of the child getting the illness would be very expensive and in some cases lifelong so I would think that the insurance company would charge more just because that child may be at more risk than one who is protected. Just like Life Insurance charges more for a smoker than a non smoker. A smoker is usually at a greater risk of life threatening diseases.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 1:29 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I agree with gem gem and MomforHealth.
    if you don't take preventative measures then you will probably end up costing the insurance companies more.

Anonymous