Starting rice cereal...

My baby girl is 5 months in two weeks and I want to start her on rice cereal.
I have a few questions though...
I know it 1 TBS of cereal to 4-5 TBS of formula, but when does she get her bottle?.... Is it before or after I feed her the cereal?...
And shoud I feed her the cereal only once a day? Or once in the AM and once in PM?
Thank you
Jenna

jenna_rose

Asked by jenna_rose at 1:25 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I only gave my Son Oatmeal, never rice cereal since it constipates. I think you are talking about making it in a bowl & feeding with a spoon NOT putting the cereal in a bottle right?? Anyway Just make it creamy in the bowl & give it in the Morning so she has all day to digest & it's not laying in her stomach all night, which can cause gas pains.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:38 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Up until baby is 12 mos old, always nurse or feed bottle BEFORE offering any solids. Start out at a time of day that is convinient for you. Offer a few bites of whatever you're feeding. You can start with cereal if you want to, but you don't have to. Good starter foods are banana, avocado, and sweet potato. They can be pureed, fork mashed, or served soft in bite size pieces. I always recommend at least 6 mos for solids, but I can't make that decision for other people, just recommend it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:45 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• EHHH cereal is never needed actually you can just start with veggies or fruits if you want. Cereal is kinda worthless fluff as far as nutrition goes. Formula should be your LOs main source of nutrition and solids of any kind are just desserts. Bottles then offer solids
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 1:48 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Give it to her in place of the bottle she'd normally have.
    jspenny2705

Answer by jspenny2705 at 9:08 AM on Mar. 18, 2011