When/how to introduce whole milk?

My son will be 1 on the 25th. I tried to give him a cup with milk once but he wasn't interested. Because it was cold? He has cold juice in a cup but his formula is warmed up in a bottle.
Suggestions?

Nicoles2LilRams

Asked by Nicoles2LilRams at 1:29 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just offer some in a cup, maybe at meal times, once or twice a day. If he drinks it, fine. If not, fine too. :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:41 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• try mixing his formula with milk and gradually add less and less formula to it, how much formula does he usually drink at a time? if 80z i'd make 6oz of formula and 2oz of milk and gradually go down from there on the formula and increase the milk GL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:36 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I just went straight to milk. I actually wormed it a few times and heated it less and less a the week went on and by the end of the week she was drinking cold milk. BTW mine was 10 mos when we did this. We ran out of formula and the Dr gave the ok.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:38 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I put my kids on milk at 12 months of age, I would start with small amounts and I would give it to them warm
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:40 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I warm up the milk at first until they get used to the taste of the milk versus formula. Then, I try it cold. some babies i had to wean down the temp, while some switched without a problem once they got used to the taste of the new drink. :)
    Freundmommyx5

Answer by Freundmommyx5 at 2:24 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• ya i had to warm my one year olds milk up for a few days too
    proudmommyof612

Answer by proudmommyof612 at 6:23 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Offer it as you decrease formula gradually, offer everything in a cup/sippy at this point no bottles. Milk is not necessary they can also eat cheese and yogurt for the same nutrition. After a year less calories and vitamins are actually needed than before a year which is why they can now have whole milk instead of formula. Cows milk has little nutrition wise..protien and calcium and a bit of vitamin D, meat, cheese and some sun gets those.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 1:50 PM on Mar. 16, 2011