Anyone have a good icing recipe that will...

hold red food coloring and is not awfully sweet?

My daughter's second birthday is coming up. She wants an Elmo birthday cake. I like to use cool whip as icing, but it will not hold the red color. Does anyone have a good recipe for an icing that not too sweet but will hold red coloring? Or should I just buy the tubs at the store and color them? Thanks. :)

Kword

Asked by Kword at 1:30 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Food & Drink

• You can color the tubs at the store and powdered food coloring works much better than liquid for really bright bold colors. For something not too sweet I love cream cheese frosting. Here's the recipe I use

• 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened

• 1/2 cup butter, softened

• 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar

• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

• In a medium bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter until creamy. Mix in the vanilla, then gradually stir in the confectioners' sugar. Store in the refrigerator after use.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:34 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Powdered sugar, About 1 c. to 2 or 3 T butter and and milk to texture you wish- should only be a few T. I think you can mix this with cool whip and have a whipped frosting that will hold color. If you try ahead of time you can experiment. Have fun. :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 1:34 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I'm not quit sure of the answer.... but maybe try red "food dye".... it wont "water" down the cool whip.
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 1:34 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:43 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• You can't use traditional food coloring - the watery stuff in any grocery. Try a powder or gel coloring.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:44 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I have the gel stuff. Thanks everyone. :) Now I have some things to try and work with. :)
    Kword

Comment by Kword (original poster) at 2:01 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• close Join now to connect to