When is it time to go to the hospital?

I am 36 weeks pregnant with my first and I have contractions a lot. Mostly happens when I get up and walk. Some are painful. Some are not. They aren't regular but I mean I can have like 6-7 in an hour and then not have anymore for like 2 hours. When they hurt they hurt in my back and feels like REALLY BAD menstral cramps. Sometimes they stop me dead in my tracks and sometimes I can carry on a conversation no problem. My baby has dropped. I have A LOT of discharge going on. How do I tell when it's time to go to the hospital? I am afraid I'll get so used to feeling this, I won't make it in time to have the birth I want to. I know I am supposed to time them and everything but it happens so often now, I can't tell. I am going to call my doctor, I just wanted to see what ya'll have to say. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Pregnancy

• You should go to the hospital when the contrition's are regular and 5-6 min apart

robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 2:46 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• well they always say when they are regular 2 go in but 2 me if you think it time u go
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 2:46 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• That will vary depending on your situation, so ask your doctor. My doc had told me to come when they were regular and 5-7 minutes apart, since we lived quite a ways from the hospital. My water ended up breaking, so I thankfully didn't have to count!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:49 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I would call the doctor but since they arent consistant and stop when you change your activity they are most likely Braxton Hicks contractions. You should be concerned if they stay consistant no matter what you do or stop doing and are 5 min apart or if your water breaks. Then go to the hosp.

Answer by gemgem at 2:58 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• If the contractions are concerning you, call your doctor's office. If they don't want to send you to the hospital yet, they will at least have you in at the office for a NST so they can time the contractions and determine if they're regular. They'll also check to see if you're dilated/effaced at all. Either way...call!
    cskomk0106

Answer by cskomk0106 at 3:04 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• 3-1-1..... go when your contractions are 3 minutes apart, 1 minute long, for 1 hour; or when your water breaks; or when you can't talk through yourcontractions for 30 minutes

angeladh82

Answer by angeladh82 at 3:10 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I would call your Doctor to be safe. If he or she suggests you to go to the Hospital then you can go from there. Better to be safe!
    PinkRose282

Answer by PinkRose282 at 4:03 PM on Nov. 24, 2008