If your teen smokes

Does anyone allow their teen to smoke at home or if your teen smokes do you tell them no smoking on your property or in your home? I've been fighting the smoking battle with my 14 yr old dd for almost 2 yrs now and after all the punishments and lectures I'm about to the point of giving up and accepting her smoking. Both me and her dad smoke so we both know what a terrible addiction it is. How has everyone else handled this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Kinda hard to tell a kid not to smoke when you do it. Anyway...how does a 14 yr old get cigarettes anyhow? ANd 2 yrs??!? Really?!? WHO was buying them fora 12 yr old?!?! I would find out & have them arrested.
    Anonymous

• my mom knew I smoked and NEVER let me smoke in the house.. not til I was 18 - she wouldn't let me do it on her property either and she refused to be able to see it - start taking things away, throw the cigarettes away when you find them - make her earn all her privilages, grounding..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:51 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Yep we have. My husband smokes but has always told the kids its a horrible addiction and he has tried to quit multiple times. Anyway my oldest son does smoke, and has for awhile, he is almost 19. We did not allow it in our home, or on our property, we also did not buy them for him, and still do not. He is also a recovering addict so at this point I am glad he isnt doing hard core drugs like when he was self medicating (he is Bipolar), and hope in time he will quit smoking too.

Answer by gemgem at 1:51 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Go ahead vote me down. Its true. Really what kind of low life buys cigarettes for a 12 yr old?
    Anonymous

• If you were serius about your daughter not smoking you would quit yourself! I'm going to vote the other anon up. I think you are disgusting!
    Anonymous

• You must feel just terrible about this. I think your only remedy is for you and your husband to join a smoking cessation program and make your home a no smoking zone. Tell your daughter that you are doing it for her.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:24 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I would never allow a child (or an adult) to smoke in my home. I would find out where the cigarettes are coming from, and have the shop shut down.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:56 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I smoked when I was young (from 14-18) and then I quit when I found out I was pregnant with my 24yo. At NO POINT, just because I had ever smoked, would I have been okay with any of my sons smoking as teens. They all had friends who smoked and the large majority of them had parents who did in fact by them cigarrettes starting as young as 12-13 years old. If one of my children did smoke and I also smoked we would ALL quit smoking together. I wouldn't give in and allow them to smoke just because I do. I'd do something about it! My 24 and 23yo sons both smoke now...they both picked it up after they turne 18 and moved out and we HATE IT. Our 24yo just switched to electronic cigarettes and our 23yo is considering the switch now that he's seen what 50+ plus years of smoking has done to my mom.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 3:02 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Alot of teens will and do experiment with cigarettes and I would bet that most adults that now smoke, began smoking in their teen years before they could legally buy cigarettes. For many teens its only experimental and it never gets further than that, however for other teens it can unfortunately be a lifelong addiction. If there was one easy answer on how to get teens to not smoke it would be on the cover of all the major magazines, and be the lead story on the news at night. I think every parent has to handle this situation in the way they feel is best, and I don't believe there is any right or wrong answer. My sister and I were both allowed to smoke as teens, she smoked for 6 months and quit, I have never quit.. We don't want our kids to smoke but sometimes they do, regardless of how we deal with it. Where's that parenting manual when we need it! lol.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:19 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Teens, will get cigarettes no matte what. My son would just ask someone outside a store to go in and get him some. That simple! Well thats what he tells me now that he is almost seventeen. My son has been smoking cigarettes for a little over a year now, but only admitted it to me a year ago. I had a feeling he was, because I would smell the smoke on him, but he would always say it was because his friends mom smokes. Half the adults now a days started smoking when they were teens! I never smoked, hate the smell, and think they are disgusting. I have talked to my son's doctor on what to do. He wont give him the patch, or any meds for what ever reason. My son has to want to stop. He has actually slowed down a lot because he started to notice he was looking way older than he was. So that got him thinking. Plus he has a a hard time breathing when running, and he loves sports.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 11:38 PM on Mar. 16, 2011