I'm starting to think about child-proofing our house since my almost 6 month old is getting very grabby and will be crawling before I know it! Any tips on what to get or what's a waste? I assume I need almost everything from outlet covers to stove top knob covers, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

hg216

Asked by hg216 at 1:46 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had to put a stove lock on. Mine liked to pull up by using the handle on the stove...thus pulling the door forward sometimes.
    Anonymous

• First & most important is you need gates on the top & bottom of the stairs. We have Evenflo Secure Step metal gates top & bottom that attach to one size of the railing permanently. Then outlet covers, the plastic knobs you put over doorknobs, bumpers for coffee tables or fireplace hearths. We have removable knobs on the stove but my son never really went near them.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:52 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Sorry, size = side (SP)
    ILovemyPaulie

• I have never baby proofed. We used a play yard that contained her and then kept a very close eye on her when she was allowed to roam the house. My child has never attempted to use anything that she wasn't allowed to touch. She open drawers when she is asked or cabinets when asked. I didn't think it was a good use of my time or money to baby proof a home when it is going to frustrate you to have to figure out how to use the equipment that you have put up. I found it easier to keep an eye on my child or keep her contained in a safe area to play when I could not.

BTW mine is going to be 3 in June.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:52 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Gee COALA, some of us dont follow the baby around every waking moment nor want to "contain" them. My child would not tolerate a play yard once she realized she could move about. Good for you that your child never tried to explore outlets. Some kids do. Baby proofing is NOT a substitute for supervision. I think most smart people know that. Its an extra precaution. She asked what to do, not to be told she should be watching the baby instead of making things safer
    Anonymous

• We chose to baby proof 3 rooms in the house, the family room, kitchen, and my DD's bedroom. We did the outlet covers, and gates to keep her out of the living room and dining room (I never go in those rooms, so it wasn't necessary to baby proof them). Then we basically watched our DD to see what she was going to try and explore and just kept proofing as she moved from one thing to another.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 2:00 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Safety clasps for any cabinet you dont want her to open. (keep in mind, a can of soup can hurt little feet) Shelf anchors that keep bookshelves or dressers from tipping over on them. Gates, socket protectors (although my brilliant son -he's 20 now- but when he was little) figured out how to get those out! A lock for the top of all entry way doors so he cant escape out the front/back door when the mood hits (mine liked to streak thru the neighborhood, w/ me following w/ a towel in hand!- lol) If you have mini blinds, please take care to secure the strings. I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but if you go to some baby proofing sites, you will get lots of ideas. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:02 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• thought I'd throw in about potty locks. Germs are obviously a serious concern, but don't forget about the chance of baby tipping into the water. Also many little fingers have been broken by a toilet seat slamming down. So in my home potty locks are a must. But they are a pain!!!
    Freundmommyx5

Answer by Freundmommyx5 at 2:20 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• We don't babyproof. My youngest is 8 months and we don't have a single outlet cover or anything. All we did was go around and pick up any choking hazards he could reach. Once he figures out how to open the cabinet in the kitchen we'll put a latch on it to keep him out. But that's it. With our older kids we also had a gate at the bottom of the stairs (they weren't allowed upstairs so didn't need one at the top). And we kept the bathroom door shut at all times until they were all potty trained or could be trusted not to play in the bathroom. For the youngest we just put a box in front of the hall leading to the bathroom/bedrooms to keep him out...for now.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:27 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Well if we all had perfect children like COALA then the world would be a better place LOL
    Lets all take her advice. Dont bother with outlet covers, just let them stick things in them and get electricuted. Dont lock your cupboards, just let them open them and ingest cleaning products. Dont put a gate up on stairways, just let them fall down and break their neck.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 2:47 PM on Mar. 16, 2011