Stay At Home Moms

I just recently became a SAHM and I'm so use to working to have my own money. Now, I feel weird asking for money from my husband, and before you go on bashing me for "asking" for money from my husband, please realize that I became a SAHM for my daughter to have levels of normalcy in her life. It would kill me on a daily basis when my 5 year old daughter would worry about who was picking her up that day of school. My husband and I both decided that me staying at home would be the best for the family, and plus I love it! My questions for all you SAHM is, do you feel guilty for asking for money from your SO or do you just spend money as if you were earning it as well. Also, what are you duties as a housewife/SAHM? TIA!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Relationships

• I don't ask for money. Money goes in, money goes out. I keep track of the bills and run the household. Everything is OURS, and we both spend and we both have access.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:01 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I take care of all the finances so I don't have to ask for money. My husbands checks are direct deposited and I pay just about all our bills online. We never really carry cash. I work from home(Mia Bella's) and I just deposit most of the money I earn every week or so. We keep some cash for the kids allowances.

how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 2:02 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I spend it like it is my own because it is. He works outside the home but I do as much if not more work then he does at home. My duties here are to keep the house tidy, make sure the laundry of course is done, cook, pack lunches, make sure the kids get to and from their sports and programs, also of course make sure they are SIGNED up for them lol. I do all the fundraisers for the schools for my kids. I am in charge of all bday parties, holiday celebrations etc. Basically anything that has to be done is done by me, including paying all the bills.

Answer by gemgem at 2:02 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• we are too broke for me to spend it on anything than what we need, so i dont have to ask since whatever im buying is a necessity. however i do tell him where it's all going just so he knows. and if im buying new clothes for our oldest or treating them to mcdonalds, i let him know as well. as far as duties, i do literally everything except trash/yardwork. he will on occasion help out with anything if i remember to ask.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:02 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I spend it as if it was mine. If it is a big purchase then I talk it over with my husband first. I do pretty much everything, even the finances. My husband does the outside yard work and will cook dinner on the weekends. He also helps when I ask. I am involved in a few playgroups and MOPS. I also am a full-time student. I volunteer at my sons school too.

Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 2:02 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I recently became a SAHM too. Feel free to contact me and we can discuss things.
    Same boat as you...use to making my own money, and giving up independence sucked. But, I did it for my DD.

And hell no I don't feel guilty taking money. I don't ask, just take.
    I tell him that I used X amount today...groceries, buying my child shoes, clothes, or if I need something. Hair cut, ect...

I will ask if it's okay to get like mani/pedi. It's not a necessity. So, I like to ask on those.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 2:03 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Sometimes I feel guilty when I'm out shopping and my hubby is at work, but that's about the only time guilt sets in. We have one joint account and we each have debit cards. I never ask to buy anything, it's just as much my money as it is his.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 2:03 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I handled the money, so I didn't have to ask. We each had the same amount of spending money every month. I made a budget and made sure to include spending money for both of us. That way you each have your own cash.
    sarchasmicangel

Answer by sarchasmicangel at 2:05 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• i sometimes feel guilty but then he says stuff like its "our" money :) n i (he) likes to spend it on us( me n the kids) but i make sure if we get something he gets something as well. ummm i cook, clean, make sure the kids r taken care of, try n have a great day so when hubby gets home its a great night for him to relax :)
    mommyof3_21

Answer by mommyof3_21 at 2:05 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I "ask" for money too and yeah sometimes I feel a little funny about it but DH usually just gives me whatever I want unless what I'm asking for is "out of the budget" Although he recently gave me $400 to spend on JUST me...he actually forbade me to buy anything for the kids or the house with it....I don't even know what to do with it now! lol
    My "duties" include making sure the house is clean when he gets home, getting dinner ready, and taking care of our daughter....getting her ready to go to kindergarden...helping her with writing her name, the alphabet, ect.. If you ever need someone to talk to feel free to message me. and good luck mama
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 2:11 PM on Mar. 16, 2011