I just stopped breast feeding my 5 month old cold turkey, how long can i expect to be engorged?

I've had 9 breast infections since delivery in late Sept. Doctor said I HAVE to stop immediately because I can't continue taking antibiotics at this rate. It's been almost 5 days and my right breast is super sore, but I don't have symptoms of an infection. Any advice?? Please....

Freundmommyx5

Asked by Freundmommyx5 at 1:58 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've heard tight sport bras help ...
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 2:01 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• my girlfriend put cabbage in a sports bra and wore it for a day milk was gone...
    Sage11

Answer by Sage11 at 2:32 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• birth control pills
    sage tea, mo more milk tea. umm and stop cold turkey puts you at higher risk for infection. andyes cabbage leaves. oh coldmeds too they dry milk up
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:17 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Cold turkey is the worst especially if you've been battling infections. Engorgement can lead to clogged ducts, which can lead to mastitis. Try the cold cabbage leaves in your bra to help. Take a leaf, break the veins, and leave one in each cup until they get warm/wilt. Then, remove and repeat as necessary. Motrin is fine if it is painful.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:32 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Also, don't bind your breasts. Wear a well fitting, supportive bra and comfy t shirt, etc.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:33 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Krysta622,
    The doctor put me on antibiotics to wean and they are hoping that they will keep me from getting another infection. I think I will try the cabbage. I \'ve heard alot about it. Every time i am late to nurse, i get a clogged milk duct which, like you said, gives me an infection! so it's been a battle!!
    Freundmommyx5

Comment by Freundmommyx5 (original poster) at 11:22 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Like, antibiotics as a preventative measure? Personally, I think it's silly, and that it would have been better for you to just do a gradual weaning, but there might be more to your situation then I'm aware of. The cabbage leaves are said to help a lot. There is also an herbal supplement called No More Milk that you can look into. If the engorgement is very painful, you might want to express milk, but JUST A LITTLE, just enough so that you're a little more comfortable. In the long run, it can make the drying up process take a little longer, but it might be better for you in the short run. Just an idea. Sage is known to lower supply, and I believe it is an ingredient in the No More Milk that I mentioned.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:18 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• cabbage leaves in your bra.
    jspenny2705

Answer by jspenny2705 at 9:05 AM on Mar. 18, 2011