Letting down pets

If a cat was suffering from an eye tumir, Will you kill the pet and don't tell your teenaged sons. The dog is very old. 14 years old. What is an acceptable way to kill it. Have the vets do it, or shoot its head with a rifle when its asleep so it doesnt feel any pain?

1080Sparkles

Asked by 1080Sparkles at 2:04 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Pets

• I wold do it the right way take it to the vet, let it go in peace.
    Anonymous

• would
    Anonymous

• Well it could be a brutal sight but the cat cant feel anything when it gets shot in the head. Instant death.
    1080Sparkles

Comment by 1080Sparkles (original poster) at 2:07 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Sickening to consider just shooting an animal in the head. There's no way of knowing whether or not the animal will feel pain, or whether or not one bullet will even do the job. By the time a child is a teen, they're old enough to understand and don't need to be lied to. Being old isn't always a good enough reason for being humanely euthanized either. And why are 2 different animals involved here?
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:08 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• letting the vets do it would be best. its more of a proper way...you can also ask the vet if you could have the remains since they turn the pet into ashes (i cant think of the proper name for it)...

killing the animal with a gun is heartless although it is what many people who own farms do with farm animals too. i had to put my dog down and she was only 6 years old, she stopped eating and drinking and suddenly went blind and her legs gave out, i couldnt imagine shooting her, thats just awful.
    Anonymous

• Could we kill it first and tell the boys that their cat died? I cant stand the sight of that huge mass of cancer. Its my husbands idea.
    1080Sparkles

Comment by 1080Sparkles (original poster) at 2:11 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• you are in for a HUGE controvery...i had put on a post about just simply giving away a pet and i got so bashed by it.
    Anonymous

• The idea of just blowing your pet's brains out is incredibly disrespectful to someone your kids and family has loved. I'm not even an animal lover, and it seems really wrong to me.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:16 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Is there actually a reason you can't bring it to the Vet and get it put down? Or is this your husbands "cost savings" idea?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:27 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I would tell your kids beforehand, and maybe they can help you decide the method. They are old enough to know, and this will give them a chance to say goodbye.

The vet gives a simple overdose injection to euthanize an animal. Shooting one in the head just seems so violent. I wouldn't want to remember my cat dying that way, even if it was painless.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:31 PM on Mar. 16, 2011