Young Mom struggle

I'm addicted to Teen Mom, and one of them was saying that since they had a baby so young they missed out on all the fun things to do after HS and college. They also said they have lost of friends due to becoming a parent. How many of you feel like you dont have a lot of friends, because of being a mom? I feel like for me, I only have a few close friends, and its because they have kids as well.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:23 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Relationships

• That's true when you have kids well into adulthood, too. Once you have kids, you are much more likely to spend time with the friends who have kids, because the ones without kids just don't understand your concerns and scheduling constraints. You end up losing touch with them.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:28 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Absolutely true. Young parents give up a lot to be parents and older parents tend to have less energy to be as active.
    SueAnd2

Answer by SueAnd2 at 2:30 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• ive noticed it already. if i cant go out on a whim, and im asking friends to come over they usually dont. its sad, but its more important to spend time with my son anyway. im making more friends with moms, but then again when can we meet up? lol
    Arretsmomma5

Answer by Arretsmomma5 at 2:38 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I have the same friends now as I did before. None of the people I hang out with have children. They go out and party a lot but that's never been my thing. I don't feel like I'm missing out. I love being a wife and mother.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 2:40 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I had my 1st when i was 15, and its true that you give up a lot when you have kids, I was forced to drop out of school and get a job, I lost almost all of my friends while I was pregnant, and I now am 25 and pregnant with #4, and it's like i have no life at all, I don't get to go out when I want, most of the time I'm too tired to even "get dressed". I can't remember the last time i wore make up... Its so hard to have a life outside of my home and children because the friends I do have either don't have kids, or are too busy with their own kids, I invite people over all the time, no one ever shows, I rarely get the chance to go out, and when i do I end up not going because no one wants to go out... I love my kids, dont get me wrong, I just wish sometimes that, if nothing else, I could afford a babysitter for even just 1 day a week, but I can't and I just live with it... Because I can't even get my own fam. to watch my kids...
    lilliedoll

Answer by lilliedoll at 2:50 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Unfortunately a lot of teen parents go thru that - losing out on things and friends but that wasn't what happened for me. I was lucky. I was always selective with my friends, and maybe thats because I'm the type of person that has to be on the same level of my friends - we have to click so to speak, if I ever find myself having to hold my tongue or be fake than I can't be friends with that person. I've had the same friends since elementary and middle school, none of them abandoned me when I got pregnant. Several of my female friends were also teen mothers (though we certainly didn't plan to all be teen moms together) and two of my male friends were teen dads. I also had the incredible good fortune of having my husband's family to lean on (my family was supportive too but my husband's parents started having kids young too and simply were more involved in my life than my family). I didn't miss out on anything (continued)
    Anonymous

• (continued) I still went to college, I still had a social life thanks to my friends and very large family.
    Anonymous

• I got married my senior years of highschool. I didn't become a mom until 2 years later. I don't have friends because I don't know very many people in the area. I wasn't into all the partying and everything that comes after HS.
    HKing01

Answer by HKing01 at 7:21 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• thats a main reason i joined cafemom i have a couple close friends from hs but its hard to talk to them about stuff happening with kids cus i sort of feel like im boring them or something
    goobersmom713

Answer by goobersmom713 at 8:45 PM on Mar. 16, 2011