Dog Food

What brand of dog food do you feed your dog? Or do you make their food from scratch?

metalhealthmom

Asked by metalhealthmom at 2:37 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Pets

• I buy whatever I can get the most for the cheapest. Im lucky enough to have a dog that does not have a touchy tummy. Lately the dogs been getting Alpo dry food. Before that it was Purina.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:41 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Do you think it might be cheaper for you in the long run to just make their food? I've found that I save a lot of money by making my dogs' food from scratch.
    metalhealthmom

Comment by metalhealthmom (original poster) at 2:46 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Only high quality NATURAL dog food for my babies...none of that grocery store/Walmart garbage! I have been feeding them Taste of the Wild exclusively for the past 6 months or so, and I rotate between the four "flavors" with each bag. I have also fed Blue Buffalo, Canidae, and Diamond Naturals in the past. They also get a raw egg once/wk and occasionally get bits of raw or cooked meat and fruits/veggies such as carrots, apples, cantaloupe (can't spell), etc if we have it. If my dh would let me, I would definitely feed them complete raw, though.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:53 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I give my dog blue buffalo. He is a small dog so it's 20 dollars every other month or so. I have seen the recipes for the healthy pet food diets but it would actually cost us more so we choose to feed a higher quality pre-made dry diet.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:54 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I have two chihuahuas, so its not as expensive for us.
    metalhealthmom

Comment by metalhealthmom (original poster) at 2:56 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I feed them what I can afford lol usually science diet but I give them leftovers too so it last longer since they don't have picky stomachs when I have a lapse in judgement and don;t have the money for science diet they eat gravy train lol
    msh88

Answer by msh88 at 3:16 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Science Diet is pretty expensive for being such a low quality food. You can get much better food for that price. No, I'm NOT putting you (or anyone else) down for feeding it, but most people just don't know that they can feed better quality for around the same price...most people don't even know about the better brands because the better brands don't usually advertise on tv/radio/etc (Blue Buffalo and Wellness are the only two good brands that I know of that advertise). If you want to, you can check out www.dogfoodadvisor.com for a high quality brand. If you see one you like, you can go to the manufacture's website and click "where to buy" or something similar. If you are satisfied with your brand, that is fine too.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 3:22 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I tried feeding my Golden retriever the raw diet about 15 years ago and that did not go well. She was older at that point and it made her sick. I started with her feeding my dogs a high quality holistic diet. I will never go back to feeding the crap you find at grocery stores and many pet stores. Many of those foods have poor quality ingrediants and are full of fillers. I have fed my dogs California Natural, innova, taste of the wild, canadae, as well as a few others over the years.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:24 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Cesar. I've tried some of those natural brands.. either she turns her nose up, or if she's hungry enough to eat it she pukes it up later.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:41 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I agree that they're full of fillers, however, some dogs do just fine on them. I just dont want anyone here to feel bad if they can't afford a raw diet or to make their own food for them.
    metalhealthmom

Comment by metalhealthmom (original poster) at 3:57 PM on Mar. 16, 2011