My 4 year old daughter wont interact with her grandpa at all and plays shy with him.. Why is that? She is fine with everyone else but him? It really hurts his feelings and breaks my heart to see it?

JessicaGero

Asked by JessicaGero at 3:17 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• That is completely normal. 4 yr olds are unpredictable. Just normalize it for grandpa, tell him she is shy . . . . even if you don't see it alot. She'll grow out of it eventually.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:22 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Thank you so much. That is what I try telling him he says he does not take it personal but she is like this every time she sees him. She sees him at least once every two weeks it is weird. I guess I just have to make sure she knows that he is her grandpa and he loves her dearly. I just feel bad for my dad to.
    JessicaGero

Comment by JessicaGero (original poster) at 3:24 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I think some little kids are a little weary of older people. I know I was. I wish I hadn't been so shy of my older relatives when I was a kid, because obviously a lot of them are gone now.
    I think the best you can do is just talk to her grandpa and tell him that she's shy... it's nothing against him. And talk to her and tell her that her grandpa isn't scary.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 3:28 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• My daughter did the same thing, by the way, it took her a long time to warm up to my dad . . . now she loves him . . .
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:30 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• thank you so much ladies that makes me feel better that it is not just my child doing these things. Its funny because last year she took to him very well and now this year she is a little scared for some reason. he is at my house now playing with her and my husband called and said she was stuck to my husband like glue and the only way she gave my dad a hug was becuase he killed a fly in her room. my poor dad. :)
    JessicaGero

Comment by JessicaGero (original poster) at 3:33 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Please don't push her, she'll find her own way. my parents always made me kiss and hug relatives that I didn't want to.
    Anonymous

• I think if he is just hanging around watchin her she will relax after awhile. Maybe he should offer her candy lol. i agree dont push her just let her go to him in her time.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:41 PM on Mar. 16, 2011