Baby Swing Sleeping

My daughter is three weeks old now and has started to give my guff about sleeping in her bassinet. She'll sleep, but not for very long. She sleeps much better in her swing and one night my husband and I left her in there for the night. But I wonder if we should be doing that....I'm not sure and I was wondering if anyone knows if there is any harm in it?

DellaF88

Asked by DellaF88 at 3:06 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• with my son, sometimes he would fall asleep in the swing, so we'd take it from the living room to the bedroom with him in it...lol. i think it's fine. my son used to take naps in his swing all the time until he grew out of it. my daughter does it occasionally now, but i've been putting her in my room on my bed for naptime lately. so i don't see it as a problem
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:10 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I *think* it's not recommended because their can be some breathing issues...but I'm not sure!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:16 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I can't see any problem with that at all - They only problem you may run into would be how to transition her to sleep in her crib later but for right now - I would do whatever it takes - you just don't want it to get to the point where she will ONLY sleep in the swing - that will just make things harder - but I know my son ( now 1 ) has always had sleeping issues and he slept in his swing from months 5 to 7 everynigth cause its the only thing that he slept longer than 2 hours in - so at some point, you need to do what you need to do !! GL
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:16 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I have 5 and they all loved the swing. I let them sleep where they were most comfortable. Some it was the swing, some the crib, some the bouncey seat. I mean if you slept well in a chair for instance rather then a bed would you want someone moving you to a more uncomfortable place? If shes happy then its all good.
    I would however try and get her into her crib sometimes soon for naps since the swing wont always be there for her as she gets to grow out of it.

Answer by gemgem at 3:33 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Sometime you have to do what you have to do. My son wouldn't sleep lying flat on his back . He was very colicy and had sinus issues so he slept better at a slight angle. He actually ended up sleeping strapped into one of those little papasans for the first few months but the transition to his crib was not much fun for the first few days! I think its hard for a baby who is constantly held or swaddled to sleep on such a hard flat surface!!! Good Luck to you :)
    Christi12

Answer by Christi12 at 3:44 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• my ds has had some gas issues and grunting a lot and we found that the swing really helped because he was in more of a sitting up position. I asked my ped and she said that it would be fine but that I should not really place him in the swing while it was in motion and then let him fall asleep like that because then over time he would get used to it. But the actual sleeping in the swing was a non issue.
    matissesmom

Answer by matissesmom at 3:58 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• There is a huge increase in the risk of SIDS when they sleep upright in a swing or carrier.... Might want to look into it.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 8:36 PM on Nov. 24, 2008