I want peoples views on this.... Parent or non parents..... Do you think it's ok to slap a child in the face/head ?

this was my friend's facebook status today. obviously we are all parents so forget that part... lol but i would like your views on this. is it cut and dry, as in either yes it is or not its not? is age a factor? is the "crime" a factor? thoughts please! here's what i said and how i stand on the matter:

theres a huge difference between spanking and smacking a kid upside the head. unless you want your kid to get the message that they will be slapped everytime they make a mistake and that they are allowed to treat others the same way.
22 minutes ago · Like · 1 person

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 3:29 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• No way. I'd never slap my kid in the head, and neither will anyone else unless they want me to do it to them repeatedly.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 4:12 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• That is never ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answer by older at 3:34 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Sounds like you need some new friends. That's just... um...yeah...
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:31 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Absolutely not! I think words go a long way in teaching from right or wrong. Violence in any manor regardless the level send a message that "If your mad its ok to raise your hands to someone"
    TaraSanchez

Answer by TaraSanchez at 3:33 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Slapping and spanking are both not okay. But, you can get legally charged with child abuse if you slap on head.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:36 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I don't agree with EVER putting a hand on a child. I spend too much time trying to teach my child hitting is not okay to confuse her & hit her. I don't practice spanking & i'd never HIT her. A light pop on the butt is one thing, hitting your child ANYWHERE is abuse.

Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 3:40 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I don't agree with slapping/spanking anywhere.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:40 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I dont spank so I would never slap my kid in the head or the face. Violence generallybegets violence.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 3:40 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• @Obby she's not a mom so she wasn't asking to validate her own actions or anything. she was against it as well and probably just trying to spark a debate. all the men who answered her agreed that it IS okay..
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 3:34 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I have spanked my son in the past....it never works and I don't do it any more. I was spanked as a kid and never felt abused. My dad would aslo "pop" us upside the head just messing around, it was more of a joke than anything else and he never abused any of us or hurt us in any way. I personally don't think that it is ok to hit your children out of anger. I have lightly tapped my sons mouth with a finger for spitting and told him NO and that got the point across. I think there is definitely a difference between disipline and abuse.
    logansmommy711

Answer by logansmommy711 at 4:10 PM on Mar. 16, 2011