My 9yo still sucks his thumb. How do I help him stop?

He only does it at night or when he is really stressed with school or friends.

AWAM22

Asked by AWAM22 at 11:06 AM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• you could always dip his thumbs in hot sauce or lemon juice. That way he won't want to suck on them. I think the pharmacy also has something you can put on them, I would call them and ask.
    tfmmpmmdmmom

Answer by tfmmpmmdmmom at 12:04 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I sucked my thumb when I was a kid. The first time I stopped I was around 5, my dad kept telling me all these stupid stories about kids who sucked their thumb, trying to get me to stop, so I just hid it from him. Then he died when I was 6, and back in it went! It was my comfort thing, I eventually stopped again on my own when I started going to sleep overs and such. It sounds like it is also a comfort thing for him, I would just leave him, he will know when its time to stop!
    dancemom3

Answer by dancemom3 at 12:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I sucked my thumb until I was about 8 years old. Don't nag him. He will give it up when he's ready. I stopped by myself because I wanted to go to slumber parties, but I didn't want my friends to see me sucking my thumb. It just took a little motivation. He will stop eventually on his own. How many 20 year olds do you that still suck their thumbs?
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 10:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• U CAN GO TO WAL-MART AND GET THIS STUFF ITS WITH THE NAIL POLISH...ITS OFF TO ITSELF BUT ITS THERE...ITS CALLED NAIL BITE OR STOP NAIL BITE AND TRUST ME HE WONT DO IT FOR LONG CAUSE THAT STUFF IS TRUELY HORRIBLE...I PUT IF ON MY NAILS WHEN I WAS IN THE 5TH GRADE AND I HAVE HAD LONG PRETTY NAIL EVER SINCE THEN...I AM USING IT ON MY DD NOW...YOU CAN USE IT FOR NAIL BITERS OR THUMB SUCKIN TRUST ME IT WILL WORK....
    Anonymous

• I say just let him be. It sounds like it's a comfort thing for him, and he'll know when to stop. If you nag him too much, he'll just hide it, and probably feel guility about it.
    angcats

Answer by angcats at 11:09 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• i am a 11 year old girl and i still suck my thumb, did you ever think of how your son fills, i only suck my thumb when i am stressed out. it's hard to stop, but i'm getting the hang of it. my mom has tried everything but it has not worked. i'm learning how to stop on my own, i'm getting braces so they can help me. i do everything i can but it's hard, try talking to him maybe he want's to stop when he get's home from school.
    Anonymous