Christmas Tree safety?

I usually have a real tree, but I don't know what to do this year. I know one of my twins is bound to taste a needle or two, and I am wondering if the needles are safe to eat. I also don't know how I can keep them from pulling the tree over. I really want them to have the full Christmas experience, but I also want keep them safe. Does anyone have any ideas for having a Christmas Tree and keeping little ones safe?

TweenAndTwinMom

Asked by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:09 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't think that pine needles from a real tree is poisonous, unless they have an allergic reaction. Here is why I think this. Juniper berries and parts of pine cones are edible. I looked up uses for juniper berries on Wickepedia and it gave some info that I would never have considered. As for safety, perhaps a gate would be useful. You could also try keeping them out of the room with the tree in it--out of sight, out of mind. Every parent goes through this for at least the first two years of a child's life. They are curious and just have to check out the new toy. I have some great pics of my children playing with the tree.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 3:16 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• You can always ask poison control if they are poisonous (1-800-222-1222). My daughter didn't try to pull it over last year (17 months old) but I didn't put any ornaments down low either. Nothing was within her reach.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:39 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Thanks. I called my pediatrician's office. They say the tree is not poisonous, but may cause allergy problems. My babies are prone to allergies, so I may buy a fake (I mean artificial) tree this year. I don't have a spare room for the tree, and the only gates I've seen that would go around a tree are pretty expensive, so I'm still not sure what to do about that. It wasn't such an issue when my 12 year old was little, but the twins get pretty rambunctious, especially when they are excited!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:14 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Thanks for posting this question, I was wondering about it too!

My mom suggested to me that I should use a long piece of twine and wrap it around the inner part of the tree, towards the top, and anchor it to my wall. That way it will be secure from falling over on my little one.
    oceanlover84

Answer by oceanlover84 at 7:19 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• I got an additional idea from someone else and thought I'd put it here in case anyone else was looking for an answer. She told me she nailed her tree stand to a large piece of wood so it wouldn't tip over.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:58 PM on Dec. 8, 2008