When did you take your children to the eye dr. for 1st time?

girliemom0406

Asked by girliemom0406 at 3:45 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• Great question. My son will be 5 on April 8 and I haven't had him to the eye doctor yet.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 4:01 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I have yet to take my son to the eye Dr. and he is 6. He has passed all vision screenings by the school and the Dr';s office and at home he has shown he has perfect eye sight so there has not been a need for the eye Dr.
    I only go to them when there is a problem.
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 5:38 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I took my child for the first time when the school sent me a letter saying he failed the eye test, he was in 3rd grade I think. In 4th grade he was fitted with glasses. They do check them in elementary school believe it or not, so many things they dont do in school anymore, like teach but thats another subject
    cmrbored

Answer by cmrbored at 3:52 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I think it was a few weeks before her 3rd birthday. I know it wasn't too long after she started her first year of preschool. Took me a while to find an eye doctor who would accept someone her age but eye health is important just like medical and dental so why not start early ya know.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 3:54 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• My eye doctor did a free comprehensive screening for babies between 6 and 12 months (I think), so we did a eye screening around 7 months. This was just to look for any obvious problems (see if he tracks the pen light, look for any eye health problems, etc).

We haven't taken him in for an eye exam yet, but I think the doctor said we should start around age 3 and again when he enters school or soon after (maybe age 5 or 6?) and every 2 years after that. I imagine they need to be able to follow directions and read the eye chart to get a good exam, which is probably why some wait for them to be school age if they don't think they are having problems. If you suspect any problems, I'm sure any age is appropriate though.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:38 PM on Mar. 16, 2011