What has been your worst cooking mistake?

My mom had a recipe for some bangin brownies, double chocolate cakey fudgy brownies! I made a big double batch... but forgot to add the FOUR cups of sugar lol
How bout you?

Nicoles2LilRams

Asked by Nicoles2LilRams at 3:50 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Food & Drink

• The worst would have to be when I was like 12, my best friend and I decided to make sugar cookies and somehow we mixed up the sugar and salt. Needless to say, those cookies were disgusting. I'm also a notorious over salter. lol
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 3:58 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• i sliced four pounds of potatoes on xmas morn for au gratin but put them aside as opposed to popping them in the oven. They were so brown and ugly! I had to smoother them with cheese and dim the lights.
    LauraOR

Answer by LauraOR at 3:54 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• It happens more than I care to admit, but I'm horrible about burning frozen texas toast. I get busy doing other stuff that has to be done as soon as the meal is cooking that I tend to forget that I stuck bread in the oven. If I don't keep myself in the kitchen with it on my mind, odds are the toast is going to get a little too toasty. I don't get it - other than that I'm normally a good cook.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:52 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Years ago I was making my first ever batch of homemade Italian meatballs. I was talking on the phone while doing it and completely forgot to add the onion. They were also too wet, so when I tried to brown them they melted into fat tasteless hamburgers. I threw the entire batch away and have yet to try again. I have done cocktail and Swedish meatballs, but I've steered clear of the Italian meatballs, lol.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:12 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• i burned my yellow rice once, well actually DH burned it. as soon as he walked in the door he went & opened the lid which is a big NO-NO with Vigo yellow rice. he didn't tell me, the water quickly evaporated and i got a nice crusty layer of black rice burned onto the bottom of the pot =( furthermore the top layers didn't cook right and it was hard when the chicken was ready. the whole meal was ruined!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:51 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I made some Snickerdoodle cookies many, many years ago for my now ex and used powdered sugar instead of regular sugar. His mom kept trying to cook them longer thinking they were not done. He called me just the other day and the first thing he asked was if I'd made any cookies lately. LOL
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 4:04 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• meat loaf, first time ever making it and i ended up making eggy meatloaf, it was a disaster...
    lilliedoll

Answer by lilliedoll at 4:10 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I marinated some swordfish in a key lime concoction I'd made. The swordfish came out perfectly, with grillmarks like a restaurant. They would have been great if I had just stopped there. I decided to make a reduction out of the marinade, imagining a buttery, tangy, sauce to dip in. At the last minute I just poured the sauce over the swordfish without tasting it, which is completely unlike me. That sauce was so sour that it nearly turned your face inside out with the first bite. In our nearly 7 years of marriage, it is the only thing that my DH didn't eat AND that he requested I not make again. LOL
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 4:49 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I've had so many I can't decide which one was worse.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:08 PM on Mar. 16, 2011