how can i comfort my colicy baby?

w15hup0n5tar5

Asked by w15hup0n5tar5 at 3:15 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• invest in a sling or a carrier which ever is more comfortable for you. I use to just let my LOs eat whenever ( i BFed), my doc said that was the best. I tried use gas drops of many kinds, but none ever worked for us.
    angeladh82

Answer by angeladh82 at 3:19 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Run a vacuum, it worked for my nephew

Anonymous

• Hold your baby with her back to your belly in one arm (your arm across her holding her between the legs) then rock from side to side while patting her bottom. Another is to hold her in the same position, take her foot and rub the bottom of it with your thumb using slight pressure, the nerve endings to your intestines are in the middle of your foot. Trust me both methods work very well, your baby will be tooting like a mad man, lol. Good luck :o)
    busybee68

Answer by busybee68 at 3:29 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Oh where do I start... Swaddle (morning, noon and night...whenever!) When my son would cry uncontrollably I would swaddle him tight enough he couldn't bust out with his arms then layed him on his side over my knees while sitting on the end of the couch and I would gently bounce my knees. The constant shake would calm him down or put him to sleep. I really recommend "The Happiest Baby on The Block". You can get the DVD or book from the library (DVD was a lot more helpful though). There were 5 ways to calm a baby and I used every one of them religiously everyday: Swaddle, Side/stomach position(assists in digestion), shushing (or static..I used our monitor at nights and at naptime), swinging and sucking!!! If you don't have a swing, you will need one! Gas drops didn't seem to help but the swaddling and the static were a life saver! Check out the DVD from your library, trust me!!!
    Christi12

Answer by Christi12 at 3:38 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Christi got it dead on, with the book recommendation and the swaddling. Also, as angel said, a sling or wrap to help keep the baby up close to you. Third ... if you are breastfeeding, start keeping a food journal so that you can keep track of things you eat that might be making his/her colic worse. The most common offenders are dairy, soy, eggs, cruciferous veggies, and wheat. If you're breastfeeding, don't transition to formula, it can make colic worse. Gas drops work for swallowed air, not intestinal gas, so if your baby has been screaming for a long period, and has probably swallowed a lot of air, then go ahead and use them, but they wont help for toots. Bicycling his/her legs and/or abdominal massage can help too. Another thing that helped my son a bit was a visit to the chiropractor. Consider it.
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 4:24 PM on Nov. 24, 2008