Son is out of control!

My son has been out of control for these past few days. Ignoring us or just stopping what he's doing for a few minutes. Refusing to eat what he's served and then trying to sneak snacks. I'm at my wits' end! I am sick of dragging him out of the kitchen while he whines "I'm hungry, Mommy" when I've made him a meal out of foods he LIKES. Time outs aren't working, taking away tv and toys isn't working and spanking isn't working. I know its an age-related thing but please tell me that you found a magical solution to dealing with this!

metalhealthmom

Asked by metalhealthmom at 4:02 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I dont know if there is a solution as this age can be very trying. Heres a few things I did with my daughter. My daughter has a box that has 4 simple small snacks such as a little cereal in a ziplock, an apple things like that. She can choose a snack in between meals if its not to close to the meal time regardless if she ate the prev. meal before or When she wouldnt eat her food at meal time it got wrapped up and thats what she got when she complained of being hungry. At meal time literally only put a bite of everything on his plate. You can always give second helpings but when there is just a little on the plate its not overwhelming. For the most part when kids repeat there behavior its a cry out for attention. Even bad attention is better then no attention. Try taking a couple minutes and snuggling instead of yelling. It not only suprises them but redirects there behavior.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 4:13 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I know how you feel my daughter is 2 she will be 3 in aug and is so bad right now im at my wits end she wants what she wants when she wants.
    italiamomma

Answer by italiamomma at 4:15 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I really like what misty said. It goes on FOREVER if it becomes a punishment/attention/ control battle thing, so the best thing you can do is serve the meals, and ignore how much he eats. he will get hungry and eat eventually . . . .
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:17 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I'll give the snack box a try. I have a hard time doing things like that, especially because he usually gets a say in meals...since its only the two of us.

Right now he's in his room because I told him over and over again to stop picking up the dog. We were 'playing' Candyland and he kept getting up to bother the dogs. Ughh so frustrating. I try to spend time with him and play with him but he has no interest in it!
    metalhealthmom

Comment by metalhealthmom (original poster) at 4:18 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I did find the magical cure... WINE!~
    my son turned 3 in Nov and I can SO relate to days like yours ugh..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:20 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• My son eats more than m (he's 6). At breakfast this morning he wanted a pb & j. weird maybe but I made him one. He LOVES sandwiches, we buy 12 grain bread, and I think it's a fine breakfast, but for other meals, my kids have to eat what we fix. There are days they aren't into it, and we try not to make a big deal about it you know? Sometimes we just don't care for a certain texture.

Also when we are having trouble waiting that last 15 minutes til dinner, WATER is a good thing- or carrots.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 4:31 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I'm just beyond sick of telling him to knock something off...just for him to go do something else that he's been in trouble for hundreds of times!!
    metalhealthmom

Comment by metalhealthmom (original poster) at 4:40 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I know the feeling . . . sometimes it becomes an escalating cycle, though . . . . we punish more and they misbehave more.

Try giving yourself two days off from having to address. Spend some fun, relaxing time with your son, and try to ignore his preschooler antics. Sometimes, a couple of days of a different energy can completely change things up. He will feel calmer, and usually, when the toddler is calmer, the acting up decreases.

Something that works really well for me is to turn on meditation music, while my toddlers and I relax in one of their room . . . building with blocks, or just laying on the ground. It recenters both of us, and trust me when I tell you that I often need recentering.

Hugs.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:38 PM on Mar. 16, 2011