Colostrum?

Now I know I'm asking for it by posting a question like this, but oh well. Let me first say that I am planning on bottle feeding. (Please, don't bother flaming me. Breastfeeding my first child led to serious depression so this MY personal choice!)

I am going to breastfeed at least for the first day or two though, to hopefully give my baby some benefit from colostrum. What I'm wondering is, should I breastfeed exclusively while in the hospital? Or should I start supplementing with formula right away to make the transition easier? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think for the first 3 days to just breastfeed then formula. GL
    Anonymous

• No flaming here - I'm all for breastfeeding, but you have to do what's right and best for you. My advice is to breastfeed exclusively for as long as you are able/comfortable. Then switch to bottles. That way your little one won't fill up on formula and refuse to work at the breast to get the colostrum. Expect your baby to lose a little weight during that time. It's normal and completely okay.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 3:21 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I'd give him as much of the good stuff as you can, he'll figure out the formula when the time comes. :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:31 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses! :)
    Anonymous

• I breastfed exclusively for the first two days or so. I think it would be best if you're really wanting to give your baby the benefit of colostrum. But I'd just worry about making sure that the baby has enough to eat. If you have to supplement (the only reason I'm not breastfeeding still, is because I had to) then by all means, do it. And good luck!
    DellaF88

Answer by DellaF88 at 3:41 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• My advise in this case is, don't put a date stamp on it. Any amount of breastfeeding you do is beneficial to your child, if that's 1 day or 3 years. Go for it until you have to stop, and then stop. You may find that your experience is different this time around, so decide to "not decide" and go forward with no pressure. If you're comfortable with using formula, it will always be there, and implemement it at a time of your own choosing, when it "feels" right. I've found with most parenting decisions the "decide not to decide" stance works best, go with what seems to be working until it doesn't work anymore, then change.
    Anonymous

• Exclusive! The colostrum is the best thing for him and you want him to get as much of it as possible. Nurse on cue/demand, not on a schedule or a clock. A lot of nurses still give the BS "15 minutes on each side every 3 hours" - don't worry about that. If he's hungry you nurse! If its 5 minutes or 30...one side or both...whatever he wants!
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 4:33 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Do it exclusively for as long as possible. I agree with not setting a date on it. It might turn out better then your last experience. I totally agree with anon 4:19.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:34 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Thanks again everyone; your answers have helped a ton!
    Anonymous

• I agree with Krystal, don't lock yourself in to the bottle so quickly. Give it a try you may find that now that you know what to expect you will enjoy it more. If not, stop. Any breast feeding you do is going to be good for him/her. Do what you can!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:07 PM on Nov. 24, 2008