How do you deal with the terrible two's

My baby is out of control LOL screams hits ive tried time outs and nothing seems to work

italiamomma

Asked by italiamomma at 4:10 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We should have "terrible two's mommy support group!" I know, it is soooo hard.

The good thing is that this stage ends, and they wind up being angels around age 5!

The best thing we can do is take deep breaths, keep our cool, and reassure ourselves that everything is as it should be. The stage will happen with or without our consent.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:15 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I send mine to her room to calm down. That can take anywhere from just a few minutes to about 30 depending on her tantrum. Most of the time I just have to threaten to send her to her room and she calms down.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:16 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Ativan LOL

Answer by gemgem at 4:17 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• That's funny, gemgem . . . got any to share? LOL!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:18 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• No I have Xanex LOL! I told my husband I hardly ever have to use it but on those days when I want to pull out my hair it is nice to have.

Answer by gemgem at 4:20 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• You just learn to deal with it. DS2 is almost 4 and he's STILL in his terrible two's!
    liz.1986

Answer by liz.1986 at 7:05 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I wish I had the answer but am trying to find this answer myself lol. I guess we just wait it out without giving in to their demands.
    jspenny2705

Answer by jspenny2705 at 7:09 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• It's rough. Just know it will end eventually. I never found a "solution" for DD. I would put her in her bed and shut the door. This way I could get away long enough to keep from getting too frustrated. When she calmed down some, I'd go into her room and do my best to explain why she was in her room.
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 7:11 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• yeah and my DD never wants to go to bed u said its time for night nights and she has a melt down lol
    italiamomma

Comment by italiamomma (original poster) at 7:14 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• With my boys...and i have 4 of them......i thought it was more difficult once they hit 3yrs old. When they were 2 they were so sweet. My 3rd son is about to turn 3 in may and he is starting to display some of the behaviors already...lol. I think it is because they are becomming more aware of their feelings and just testing out and learning how to appropriately express some of the more intese ones. I just let them know that it is okay to feel angry, sad or frustrated, but i teach them how to express them appropriately. It is not always easy, but i try to be consistant with them. I have expectations and if they do not follow them, there are consequences and i stick to them....most of the time. I also have a "special place" where they can cry if they want to throw a fit...that way they can calm down and then we can talk about what made them angry in the first place.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 7:17 PM on Mar. 16, 2011