Smacking a kid on the hand can cause brain damage?

this is sort of a spin off of my earlier question. someone commented on my friend's status that: "I DONT THINK U SHOULD SLAP A CHILD IN THE FACE THAT IS ABUSE BUT A LITTLE POP ON THE BACK OF THE HEAD NEVER HURT NE ONE... LIKE I SAID A LITTLE POP... BUT WHOEVER SAID SMACKING ON THE HAND I THINK IS VERY WRONG, BECAUSE THE HIT ON THE HAND IS SENT STRAIGHT TO THE BRAIN ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY ARE LITTLE.... THATS A BIG NO NO!!!!! IT COULD CAUSE PROBLEMS TO THE BRAIN!!!" and i was like HUH? never heard that before. so immediately i thought, "hitting them on the back of the head, the very place their brain is encased, will NOT harm the brain but a smack on the hand WILL?"

but she said later that it applies to children under 2 years old. ive never heard that popping a kid on the hand will cause problems to the brain. have you heard of such things before???

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 4:20 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Kids' Health

• banging head into wallAnd this woman is raising children?

Anonymous

• I think she may be a few eggs short of a dozen. (Is that terrible to say?)
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:25 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• according to her logic, it sounds like she was smacked on the hand as a baby
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 4:23 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I tried to look it up thinking maybe it had to do with nerves or something. I got nothin'.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:24 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• BAWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA........what an idiot!

No never heard of that. The absolute lack of logic...maybe she doesnt have a brain. BAWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    Anonymous

• I have never heard that, but having had training in neuro/psychology, I think it's possible, but a stretch--or twist on the truth. The hands have a LOT of nerve endings and smacking them--causing a child to be shocked, may have the same effect as any sort of corporal punishment. If a child is hit or physically "shocked" often, he can experience a change in brain synapses and irregularities in cortisol (the fight or flight hormone). I don't think it's a big deal, but if some psycho-neurologist wanted to make a case about it in order to get his PH.D, he could probably use some medical stats to make his point.
    charlottej

Answer by charlottej at 4:29 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• No I have never heard of that.

Answer by gemgem at 4:21 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I think she meant head.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:23 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Never heard of that
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 4:25 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Wow this is the first I have heard it?
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:26 PM on Mar. 16, 2011