Is it a myth that you burn over 500 calories breast feeding? The reason I question it...

I have been watching what I eat and exercising and I am not losing weight any faster than if I wasn't breast feeding. I almost wonder while the breast feeding contracts your uterus and it shrinks back to the original size as if you were burning more calories. Anyone know the science of it? My daugther is 4 months old and I do not see the difference of breast feeding and calories burned.

AmyLynn5398

Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 4:24 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I'm not sure. i just know that my family tried to pressure me into breastfeeding by telling me i'd lose weight.
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 4:25 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I did not lose weight breast feeding but I sure as heck gained a ton when I stopped...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:25 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• i don't know either, but i'll bump cause i'd like to know too. i've been nursing for 11 months. i guess it's possible that i'd be a little heftier if i didn't bf. but i don't know for sure. i'm pretty sure 500 calories is just an estimated variable. wouldn't it be nice to know how many calories are burned per ounce. lol. =P
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 4:27 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I just read that every 1 oz. of breast milk is about the equivalent of 20 calories burnt. It sounds reasonable.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:29 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/lv/lvoctnov97p115.html    Here is a great article that may help answer your question.  Congrats on the new LO!!

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 4:32 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• It varies women to women but yes you definatly burn them off by nursing and word of advice..... If you loose more then 1-1.5lbs a week you will begain to risk your milk supply.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 4:32 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• you burn roughly 20 calories per ounce of milk which is about 500 calories a day. does that mean you'll lose weight? no, if you want to lose weight you still need to eat right and exercise. your body holds on to body fat while nursing because it makes the milk with that fat
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 4:34 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• breastfeeding doesnt make you lose weight it makes you gain weight.
    PAMMIEPIE

Answer by PAMMIEPIE at 4:44 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Breastfeeding does burn a lot of calories a day, and it is recommended that you eat even more while you are nursing than you do when you're pregnant.

A few things might be going on....you might not be eating enough, and your body might be holding on to the calories for dear life (starvation mode), or you might still be eating too much (hey! It makes you hungry), or things like sleep deprivation and stress can contribute to weight issues too. Maybe water retention?

I know I lost all but about 5 lbs of my baby weight while I was nursing but those last 5 lbs hung on until I quit nursing, then they left. I am guessing that I was not eating enough and my body was "scared" that it wouldn't be able to meet the nursing demands without that little reserve.

As long as you are eating good, nutritious food, getting enough to drink, and are reasonably active...I wouldn't worry too much about it right now. Focus on your rest and baby!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 5:11 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• wow
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:24 PM on Mar. 16, 2011