curly toes

Our 3 month old is always curling her toes up. My sister in law was never broken of this habit and still curls her toes when sitting. Is there any way for us to uncurl those toes and break the habit?

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 3:21 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in General Parenting

• Why is this a bad habit? If it's comfortable for her, who cares? Unless you are concerned that it might impede her ability to learn to walk. What does her doctor say? You could spend a little time with her every day or every other day gently straightening her toes over and over, and that may do the trick.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 3:31 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• my son did that right away all the time -always had them clenched up and tightened up - he is 1 now and doesn't do it
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:53 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• It is a reflex that usually goes away right before they start to walk. They will not walk until the reflex is gone. My son was in PT and I learned it from them.
    There is no way to force them or train them to stop, in fact it can prolong it.
    Anonymous

• Before you try to force a brand new baby to stop doing something that may give her comfort or may even be necessary for development - talk to her doctor and find out IF this is a problem.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:16 PM on Nov. 24, 2008