How to improve credit?

my son asked me to co-sign for him I got turned down by the bank I can't co sign for him I don't know why? Maybe cuz I'm under debt resolutions trying to pay off my bills? My credit is not good enough or I don't make enough money I'm a teacher assistant "just" started my job....
What do I need to do to improve my credit?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Money & Work

• Get a credit card or 2 and make charges on it you can pay back in full and on time. Builds the credit.

For example. when you go to fill up on fuel, say $50, you have the $50 in the bank, but go ahead and charge it, then write the check to the credit card company (or pay online).
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 4:42 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• A secure loan can help.

Answer by gemgem at 4:56 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Get a copy of your credit reprt. You are entitiled to one free every year. Go to Experian, Transunion, and Equifax. each one will send you one or you can see it online. Check all the deatils on it to make sure it is correct. Write a letter to them if there are errors on it.

The first suggestion about getting a credit card is good too, but you must be disciplined to pay it off in total each month. If you can't do that do not get it.  GL

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:49 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Start with your smallest bills and pay them off. Don't incur more debt. Live within your means.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:08 PM on Mar. 16, 2011