Is it common courtesy to notify your tenants that their patio will be painted?

just wondering. i was sitting here on cafemom and i hear my patio door open, peep out the peephole and a guy is taping my patio light and entryways. ive seen that they're painting the other buildings so i wasn't alarmed or anything. anyway a few minutes later i go outside and ALL of my patio furniture is in the hallway. the neighbor's as well. well, hmm, okay! luckily i dont leave anything on my patio that i value. i just think it would have been nice to receive a notice from the landlord, or atleast a knock on my door from the crew member himself, that he was about to remove all of my patio furniture and paint my patio. don't ya think? or am i letting my AF control me here? LOL

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 4:39 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Relationships

• NO! They should have said something! I mean thank God you weren't on the patio sun bathing with no top on or something! Or walking in front of the windows naked.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:40 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Yes. If there is an HOA, they will usually be the ones informing by means of a note taped to your door or mailbox. . . . Sometimes, though, they mail the notice to the owner . . . .but those don't always get opened because the owners usually assume they are ballots of some sort.

Just mention to the owner about what happened, so that he knows to keep better tabs.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:41 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• They definitely should've posted a note on people's doors, or something. I know in my apartment building complex, they put letters under EVERY door when something is going to happen.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 4:44 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Yes, it is common courtesy. I don't think your patio requires 24 hours notice (it probably varies from state to state) but really, it does seem like they should at least knock on your door to let you know!
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:44 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• They so should have said something. One time, I got a note on my door when I was leaving for work early in the morning that my front porch would be power washed the NEXT day, and we should move anything we had set up out of the way. WELL, when I got home that afternoon I realized they had decided to do it early, or wrote the wrong day on my note, because all my stuff (welcome mat, hanging plant, couple decorative items) were all soaked and blown around. Not a huge deal, but still really annoying a a bit disrespectful of my things! I know how you feel :)
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 4:47 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Are you sure it wasn't in the newsletter or something? I think yes they are supposed to let you know.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 4:54 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Thankfully you were at least home to KNOW what was going on with your belongings and be able to monitor it somewhat. Like you said, those who were not home had no control over their things! I definitely think they should have notified you, and just count down the last two weeks!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 5:05 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Yeah, they should have told you! A nice note on your door or something, just to let you know, is pretty much common courtesy. Sorry they didn't tell you!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 6:07 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• the thing that bothers me is there ARE people who probably have expensive patio furniture and knick knacks, who might be at work right now. it would be very easy for some heathen to walk by and take something while its out in the hallway practicallly screaming his name! im sure if i wasnt notified, nobody else was either. and stuff has been stolen off my porch before (cigarettes which i leave INSIDE now) so if someone is ballsy enough to walk inside my patio and take it, they would surely take it while its sitting out in the hallway. they should've notified everyone so people who work could've brought their valuables inside today!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 4:45 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• im just glad im moving in 2 weeks! ive had COUNTLESS problems since i moved in here a year ago. one time they pressure washed it without notification as well, again removing all the furniture/loose items into the hallway. anyway the lining under my front door is cracked (a problem which i made known to them when i moved in, A YEAR LATER nothing has been done about it, so bugs can crawl right under my door!) and when the guy pressure washed my door, my entire foyer was soaked! luckily its vinyl and not carpet!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 4:49 PM on Mar. 16, 2011