How to get your toddler to hold it while sleeping and other potty training questions! It's long, but please read all!

My son is 27 months old and is doing great with the first stage of potty training. He loves going pee in his potty. It doesn't matter where the potty is, he'll hold it until he finds it, go pee, then come tell us that he did so we give him a sticker. :] One problem is it's been a week and he seems to be too scared to poop in his potty. There's been a few times where it was very obvious that he had to go, but he waited until we put him in his diaper at nap time to go. His most common time to go is before his nap. Very rarely he'll go during or afterwards. When he does go later on it's because we're out of his veggie juice that works so well with keeping everything regular haha.

Anyway, I was wondering a few things:

*Are there any tricks to getting him to poop in his potty?

*Also, once we have that down we'd like to get him to start holding it during naps and for running errands too, but he thinks of his boxers as a diaper at this point. If his boxers are on, he'll just pee in them. He knows how to pull them up and down, so that's not the problem. I'm not too sure what to do besides showing him his potty and reminding him to use it to avoid accidents in his boxers.

*Once we can get him to go poop in his potty, and hold it long enough to pull his boxers down I'm hoping we can figure out how to get him to hold it while sleeping. I was thinking that maybe giving him his last drink a couple hours before and taking it away an hour before it's time to lay down will help, but that's just a guess. Any suggestions??

ours

Asked by ours at 5:14 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• A child has ZERO control when there are asleep. Its a functional thing. Their body has to be ready to do it. YOu can't "teach" a child not to pee the bed while they sleep. One of the signs a child is ready to train is when they wake up dry.
    Anonymous

• Limiting drinks before bed time. Making them try to go before bed time. Other than that it is really just something they need to learn to control.

My SS had a problem with pooping in his pants and not wanting to go on the potty because he liked having us take care of the mess for him. We never shamed him or yelled at him when he had an accident. We told him it's ok that it happens. But we made him clean himself up and his underwear. He started going on the potty very soon after that.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 5:20 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• My oldest son, who is now six, just started not having accidents with peeing the bed about 6 months ago. I did everything...no drinks after a certain time before bed, had him pee beforfe bed and still he would wet some nights. I never had a problem with him not pooping on the potty though, but i am having an issue with my 4 1/2 yr old son who was born with Down Syndrome going poop in the potty. He still does not consistantly go pee in the potty either. I think my 2yr old will be potty trained before my 4yr old will. Good Luck
    team21

Answer by team21 at 7:24 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• It can take years for them to be dry while sleeping. Their body has to reach the right maturity for it. Use pullups at night for however long it takes. My kids were 7-8 before they did it and I have known others to go to age 10 or older
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:40 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Your child is very young. This ability to stay dry overnight will develop in time as the child matures. This is not something you can force.

A lot of parents offer some kind of reward to help their children learn to use the potty. If it doesn't bother you, consider offering some sort of small reward for pooping on the potty. I know people that have done star/sticker charts, handed out stickers, or handed out small treats like M&M's. I had a lot of success with M&Ms.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 7:55 PM on Mar. 17, 2011