What is the best way to organize your office

I am always a mess at my home office what is the best way to keep this space need you think

Juggling_mama

Asked by Juggling_mama at 5:43 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Money & Work

• I store as much as I can electronically.
    I keep all papers in files
    I keep files in verticles on a table, not in drawers (as long as they are active)

Answer by rkoloms at 6:02 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• The most important thing is that whatever you do, it works for how YOU use your office. Think about the tasks you do, and what you need handy in order to do that. Then, think about what things you rarely use. Those things should be put away so they're not in the way of what you need to do. The less often you need to access something, the more "away" it can be. Likewise, the more often you use something, the handier it needs to be. Just as it would be inconvenient to put your computer mouse in a filing cabinet, it's inconvenient to have last year's tax return sitting where your mouse should be.
    When you start rearranging, first dispose of anything you really don't need (dried out pens, CD labels you'll never use) and use the furniture, organizers, etc. that you have before buying a bunch of organizing stuff.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:29 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Less clutter = better working environment. Put those things you use the most closest to you and those used least often packed away.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:06 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I have a filing cabinet and a desk with cubby holes in it. Everything is put away as soon as I'm done with it, and the desk is cleared at the end of my "work day" .. so start fresh the next day with a clean desk!

It's like kids with toys .. you can't take out a toy to play with until you put away the one you just finished playing with.

Good luck!
    MaryJacobs

Answer by MaryJacobs at 1:41 AM on Mar. 17, 2011