Who has a screamer? I do I do... ugh!!

He screams all the time and he knows it gets on my nerves! I've tried saying no, quit, dont scream, the if you dont stop i'll spank you or put you in time out, the screaming back method, the ignoring, and nothing works!!! I need advice and help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:48 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I DO
    my daughter she is soooo loud
    ginhull

Answer by ginhull at 5:49 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• plz get me ur answers
    ginhull

Answer by ginhull at 5:50 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• this was suppose to be posted under the 3 yr olds...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:52 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I have a screamer as well and let me tell you sometimes I want to scream right along with him lol. We have been using points for behaviors and that includes screaming. His therapist suggested it, as stickers ect were not working. He starts the day with 5 points and as the day goes on can lose them. He gets 2 warning for a misbehavior then loses a point,if he loses all of them he loses activity time in the evening. We pick what activity he is working torwards (it's usully video games or scootering) and thats what he works to keep. He is also using deep breathing, and counting for when he feels like screaming, and she suggested giving him a few mintues during the day now and then to be loud,scream ect. I do not know if this will help you at all but good luck!
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 5:52 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I have a screamer and I tell her not to scream that she hurts mommies ears, and if that doesnt work I send her to the bathroom for awhile and tell her she can come out when she is ready to use her big girl voice. Boy, its frustrating but she is managing. I dont know where this is coming from with my little one...But good luck..
    Crissy9832

Answer by Crissy9832 at 7:01 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I'm glad you mentioned he was 3 because the advice I would give for a 5-8 year old would be different.

For his age, it is always better to tell them what to do than what not to do. for instance - use your inside voice instead of don't scream. I would calmly as I could, every time he does it say - I can hear you when you use your inside voice, use it, please. It will take some time, so don't be surprised if it doesn't work the first time you try it. Also, be sure that you do listen to him and mention how wonderful it is when he says something or asks for something in a quiet voice.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 1:48 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Stay calm and tell him that he won't be listened to when he's screaming. Have him practice talking in a normal, not-screaming voice.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:10 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Hell my husband has our daughter scream EVERY morning while he talks to her on the phone(he leaves super early) drives me CRAZY she is loud anyway, he does it to annoy me.
    Marciaplus5

Answer by Marciaplus5 at 9:45 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• both my boys are this way and I try and tell them every day that there is a time and a place for using that type of voice and inside the house is not one of them. but my husband yells a lot also so I blame him for them yelling all the time; wish I could tell you what to do maybe get his ears checked there may be a problem with his hearing. Other then that I don't know what to tell you. Sorry
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:32 AM on Mar. 18, 2011

• I do but it is the little one. My oldest two are the crying type
    othermom

Answer by othermom at 9:54 AM on Mar. 19, 2011