Can methadone and Xanax be distributed to the infant in breast milk?

My son's fiancee is a recovering heroin addict and is presently on methadone and Xanax. She is claiming that my new grandaughter is not getting the methadone and Xanax thru her breast milk. She was on methadone at the time she got pregnant. The baby was born Feb. 7, 2011 and is still at the hospital and the mother is staying there with her. She claims the nurses and doctors know she is on these medications and is allowing her to breast feed. The baby is already receiving Ativan to help with withdrawal but the baby will never get withdrawn as long as the mother is breastfeeding her. Am I correct???

tuchie48

Asked by tuchie48 at 5:49 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• idk I would go there and ask the doctors or call your own and ask them their opinion. I know methadone does come through the breastmilk though.

Answer by gemgem at 5:51 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I am not an expert or anything but that doesn't sound safe at all for that baby. I hope you get one of the doctors on here to answer that. I will for sure bump this.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 5:51 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• YES>>>>>>YES>>>>>> YES>>>>>>>> SO CAN VITAMINS< BC POWDERS< BLODD PRESSURE MEDS> A SODA POP DRINK (CAFFINE) ANYTHING THAT GOES INTO YOUR BODY FOOD< DRINK< PILLS< PATCHES CAN GO TO THE NURSING CHILD>
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 5:52 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Yes. Anything you ingest will be put off into your breastmilk.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 5:55 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I keep trying to tell this woman that and even though I am an LPN she will not believe me. My son is going to call her Dr. tomorrow because this child was born Feb.7,2011 and still is not home. The mother stays with her so she breastfeeds her every chance she gets. Thanks to all of u. I am a worried Grandmother.
    tuchie48

Comment by tuchie48 (original poster) at 6:00 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I would check with Dr Hale, either through his book or via his website, or check with Lact Med. There is a possibility that the amount is so minimal that it wouldn't matter.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:16 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Lactmed says the Methadone is OK. Lactmed, by the way, is run by the national institute of health. http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/f?./temp/~wl8tgm:1
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:17 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• awww poor little baby. My sister has been an RN in the NICU for 20 plus years and has seen babies withdrawl from heroin and methadone. It is heartbreaking. Most meds are excreted through the breastmilk. Since the mom was more than likely on methadone during the pregnancy the baby has no choice but to go through withdrawls at the hospital. I hope things get better for everybody......mom, baby and the entire family.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 7:09 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• "Although analyses conclude that methadone levels in human milk are "unlikely to be sufficient to prevent the neonatal abstinence syndrome,"11 some studies suggest that breastfeeding may be beneficial. A retrospective study from New Zealand reviewed 121 infants of women on methadone maintenance over a 7-year period, and found that infants who were treated for NAS and who were breastfed in the hospital went home an average of 8 days earlier than infants who were formula-fed. The authors concluded that "Breastfeeding reduces the duration of treatment length of hospital stay of infants with NAS," " http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/111/6/1429

Thomas Hale on Xanax http://neonatal.ama.ttuhsc.edu/discus/messages/43/2406.html?1092924911

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 7:36 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Id def. ask the dr or the nurse but from what ive been told and what a dr told me before tht the baby will get it through her breast milk he told me tht whatever u put in ur body the baby will get through the milk cuz after i had my daughter they gave me perocets for the pain and i asked the dr and nurse is tht why my daughter was sleepin so good cuz of the pain meds i was on and they said yes tht she is getting it too but in smaller amounts
    Ashley2810

Answer by Ashley2810 at 11:36 PM on Mar. 16, 2011