OMG How do I teach my Aspie that when he...

he runs up the stairs like a girl screaming OF COURSE his 3 year old sister is going to continue to pretend to through things at him! It's hilarious to a toddler to see her brother freaking out over nothing.

Yes I correct DD over and over and over, every single time(time outs and apologies) but lets face it she is 3 and getting a wonderful and fun reaction. She picks up a toy and pretends to throw it at her brother and he makes funny noises and runs up the stairs...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:54 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• Ugh I don't know but I go thru the EXACT same thing with mine lol the almost 6 year old ASD kid just doesnt get it lol but his sister thinks its hilarious! Let me know if you figure it out!
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 5:57 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Maybe give him a safe place to run to that doesn't involve running up the stairs? I'd be willing to bet the up the stairs part entertains her hugely.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 6:09 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Role-playing can be a great tool to teach children with Asperger's appropriate responses. You get him in a quiet place every day until he gets it and give him a "script" to follow. The run him through what will happen and what he should do. Example: Your sister says or does throw a toy at you. You should: Tell her that's not nice and tell Mom. It will take lots of practice and maybe written or picture cue cards for your child, but it works most of the time.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 6:44 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I agree with Kimedbs. Social stories and visual cues can really help. Good luck,Hon!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 7:31 PM on Mar. 16, 2011