Who here has felt or feels like soemtimes they might be teaching or disciplining wrong to where you are messing up your child?

i do.. I feel like i have to get after him all the time... Of course i want whats best for my child but dang it is hard to know whats best sometimes!! ugh I feel like a horrile mom

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:55 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I felt like that for a few years then my Ds was diagnosed with HFA. I thought the diagnosis would let myself off the hook so to speak. It hasn't. I still wonder if what Ia m doing for him is the best choice. Some one in a support group told me 'You care enough to figure out what does work best. That makes you a great mom'
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:58 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I have had weeks where I felt like ALL I did was discipline my children. There are simply times where that is what is required in being a parent. When I go to my mother about it, she tells me that it is so much harder to discipline than it is to let your children run wild. She will tell me "you have their childhood to be the "boss" and their adulthood to be their best friend."

Unless you think that your method is so far off that it is damaging, I wouldn't worry too much about scarring a child for life.

What I DO think screws up a child is being coddled their entire life and then being thrust into the workforce and adulthood completely unprepared with a false sense of entitlement.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:34 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Yes, I have felt that way too. Just remember to spend quality time with him and praise him when he does things right. Plus be consistent always with your discipline (which is guidance, not punishment) A don't forget the hugs and kisses too!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:07 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• loo i feel thatay all the time i have five children and i feel like im just not doing a good enough job
    jeanspa305

Answer by jeanspa305 at 8:01 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• It's the mom guilt thing. Happens to all of us (some admit it some don't) at some time. Just ask yourself when you're correcting/disciplining your son why you have such a problem with what he's doing and is there any other way to handle the situation. I find I have days where I'm constantly talking to the kids and then I'll sit back and think this day really stinks, and look for a way to change things around.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 2:02 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I feel the same way sometimes but then I realize I am doing the best I can and raising them the way I want them to be and as long as they are respectful and caring to others then I figure I am doing something right we all second guess ourselves at one point or another
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:06 AM on Mar. 17, 2011