Potty problems. adult content

My little girl is 3 and 1/2, and has been sitting on the potty once every 10 minutes since she got home from pre-school. I know she's been trying to avoid pooping since last night, because when I asked her, she said, "it hurts". I feel so bad for her, and in the past I've tried things like suppositories, but they never worked. I know she has to go, and I know she's constipated, but I don't know how to help her, and I'm afraid she'll keep avoiding it because of the pain and then we'll really have a problem. I haven't given her any "binding" foods in the past 48 hours, and she loves fruit so she's been eating that a lot. I feel like I'm out of ideas. Suggestions? Thanks!

CollegeMommy121

Asked by CollegeMommy121 at 5:56 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• Have you tried any light Karo Syrum ( the clear kind), my daughter would get constipated when she was younger and if you add a Tablespoon of that to whatever she is drinking it can help. Also, dairy products do tend to constipate, does she have a lot of dairy? you might try cutting back there as well. I hope she will soon be feeling back to normal.
    Kelly502

Answer by Kelly502 at 7:32 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Have you tried prunes or prune juice?
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:04 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I have heard a little mineral oil works. But please do ask the doctor before giving her any.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 6:07 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Yes we have, she doesn't really like them but she'll eat a few of them, but not a lot. Idk if it's enough to count. But it hasn't worked so far. :(
    CollegeMommy121

Comment by CollegeMommy121 (original poster) at 7:14 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Gerber has this juice that is prunes mixed with apples. Try that maybe. I mix it with milk and it helps my son. And contrary to popular belief, sweet potatoes help too. One medium sized jar of those and it softens the poop so he can go. Doesn't give him diarrhea either.
    CalebsMommy0220

Answer by CalebsMommy0220 at 10:57 PM on Mar. 16, 2011