How do you make your meatloaf?

for me, i usually switch some of the ingredients up everytime. the basics are always: chopped onion, minced garlic, paprika, salt & pepper, and of course the beef. tonight though with all that i also added ketchup, shredded cheddar cheese and breadcrumbs. ive never made it without an egg but the ketchup should make it moist. do you use egg in your meatloaf? if not how does it turn out?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 6:03 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Italian Meatloaf=*DROOL*

Use your regular meatloaf recipes, then press the raw mixture out flat into a pan or even just one the counter, layer it with ham (the best ham from the deli, fresh, is best for this) and then layer that with provalone cheese and roll it up! pinch the ends closed so nothing can run out! then bake it as usual! SO SO GOOD!
    LovelyC

Answer by LovelyC at 1:15 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Ground turkey, chopped fresh baby spinach, shredded carrots, egg, crushed veggie flavored wheat thins, chopped turkey bacon, salt, pepper, italian seasoning, use ketchup on top after it cooks half through.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 6:10 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I use all beef in mine, a couple of eggs (to 3 pounds of beef), salt & pepper, a cup of milk and a sleeve of crushed cup crackers. I top it with a mix of ketchup, mustard and brown sugar. It's great.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:25 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• 1/2 beef, 1/2 pork for the meat, some Worcestershire sauce, A1 sauce, 1/2 a minced yellow onion, Tbs BBQ sauce, Garlic powder, parsley, pepper an egg and seasoned bread crumbs. My hubby who says he hates meatloaf actually loves mine.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:06 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I never measure any of the ingredients. It's always 1-2 pounds of beef. Then I toss in Italian bread crumbs, ketchup, tomato sauce, onions, garlic, salt and pepper, whatever else I may feel like.... sometimes I'll toss in cheese. I season to "smell" if that makes sense. If it smells tomatoey enough, then it's good. Too tomatoey, and I add a bit more bread crumbs till it evens out. I try to find the balance between moist, but not too moist. Then I form them into loaves and top them with the rest of the tomato sauce and a little bit of ketchup and bake. I never put egg in mine, and it always holds together fine. DH LOVES my meatloaf. And it always makes killer sandwiches the next day.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 6:13 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I make it with white cheddar cheese its, worshestershire sauce (sp), egg, spaghetti sauce, onion, salt, and pepper. It comes out tasting pretty good, but then again, I think it is a hard meal to mess up
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:21 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I always use and egg and oatmeal.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 8:35 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Always 1 egg per pound of meat, about 1/2 cup rice per pound, about 1/2 cup or so finely shredded cheese per pound. Variables: onions, herbs/spices, sauce (ketchup usually, but sometimes steak sauce or bbq sauce). One other thing that changes, sometimes I use all beef, sometimes a mix of ground beef & pork.
    Anonymous

• @scout mom i use the same mixture for my sauce. its so good!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 9:16 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I do an italian meatloat. 1/2 ground beef, 1/2 ground pork/veal, 1 egg, bread crumbs, 1/4 cup ragu, spices the usual plus emerils italian seasoning (or whatever italian seasoning you have). Then I flatten it out on 9x13 baking sheet on wax paper - I sprinkle mozzerella cheese over flattened meat and then I jelly roll it up and then pour remaining ragu spaghetti sauce over it, bake it your normal time 350 - 1.25 hrs approx and it's a nice change, sprinkle a little moz on top when done, serve with some garlic rolls, side of plain pasta or something and you've got a nice variation. for exact recipie just google Italian meatloaf on recipebazarre or one of those sites for exact details
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 10:59 PM on Mar. 16, 2011