What's your feeling about your husband wanting to ride a motorcycle in bad traffic?

I have asked my husband for a long time to trade his gas guzzling work truck in on a smaller more fuel efficient truck. All of the sudden there's a need for a motorcycle to save on gas costs. Yes, his truck is VERY exensive to drive, but do I really want him riding a motorcycle on these traffic filled roads with teenagers and old people who shouldn't be driving? There's motorcycle accidents in the news everyday. I have very mixed feelings.....what do you think?

WonderingHeart

Asked by WonderingHeart at 6:05 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Relationships

• I've got mixed feelings on this one.
    without a helmet, no way!

but, is he experienced with motorcycles? I've been riding them since I was 5, and drove my own starting at age 10. I'd love to get a bike but my husband can't stand the idea.

If my husband knew anything about bikes maybe I'd be OK if he was a weekend rider, not in busy traffic.
    but I don't think I'd like the idea of daily commute on one.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 6:30 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Oh, we have a no motorcycle rule over here . . .my best friend's husband is permanantly mentally and physically disabled from a cycle accident . . . . they'll be no risk taking until the kids are grown and self-sufficient.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:08 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• My husband is not the thrill seeking type... he is more the "provide for my family and not take stupid chances with my life" type.

IF my husband was so selfish as to take stupid chances with his life i would INSIST he up his life insurance to make sure to pay off the house, provide enough money for all the kids to go to college, and to provide for me in the same life style as we are currently living... (actually we already have that.. but if not I would insist)... AND he must write a goodbye/apology letter to the kids.

btw... we have bikers in the family... we have had one permenant brain injury, a friend who hit a deer (will never be the same), and more fender benders than I can count.

Anonymous

• As long as the life insurance premiums are paid up, let him ride if he wants. I WONT be on the back of it in bad traffic.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:08 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• i would be very worried over his safety. my husband wants one too, and im really glad we can't afford one. he hates traffic and always gets so pissed having to sit through it, or behind slow drivers, i can visually picture him speeding past people like speed racer if he had one. he would not drive it responsibly, im almost positive about it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:09 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I use to ride in Dallas traffic all the time back when I was younger.....all the time. I was so stupid too. lol. You couldnt pay me enough to do it now, especially since I am a mother. Now having said that...I think it's great he is trying to save gas (it will save ya'll a lot of money). If he is hell bent on it, ask him to take a motorcycle refresher course. It's like defensive driving but for bikes. Really a good course. My ex made me take it before I got my license.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 6:11 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Well seeing as there 4 in the family that my husband his 2 other brothers that live here and there dad all share i dont have a problem with it!
    myboysRmyhero

Answer by myboysRmyhero at 6:11 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Omygosh..I forgot to add. I have not rode on a bike since Dallas. We crashed one night and I still have knee problems. :)
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 6:12 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• He is 30 years old and has probably had more experience and training on extreme driving (personal hobby) than most others on the road. I would tell him I thought he was having a midlife crisis, but otherwise let him do as he wished in that respect.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:19 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• My husband has been riding a motorcycle for years. It will save you a huge chunk on gas and on insurance. Besides, he's a grown man and should be able to make his own choices. Oh, and yeah, I do ride on the back all the time, I love it.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:23 PM on Mar. 16, 2011