8 month old has a 3 yr old big brother

everytime she has a toy, here he comes to take it away and make her cry.. Everytime she is playing on the floor so quiet and nice, here comes big brother to come and fall on her, pinch ehr hand, run her over with toys, step on her hands, you name it he tries it... Everytime big brother is eating he thinks it's funny to try to feed her when im not looking ugh!!.. Everytime she is sleeping here comes big brother screaming trying to wake her up! ugh!! Everytime she cries here comes big brother hollering and hitting her! I need advice. are all siblings like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:10 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• pretty much,yeah

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:11 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• sometimes they are. but just remind him to be gentle with her. some of that stuff shouldn't be tolerated, like the hitting, pinching, snatching toys, waking her up, and that's when i would give him a warning and if he didn't listen, his little behind would be going to time out.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:14 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• im sorry but if your 3 yr old is hitting your 8 mo old you need to stop that and quick. a 3 yr old should know not to hit a baby. At this point its probably jealousy issues that you need to confront and help your 3yr old feel like he's not forgotten.
    MoonPixie

Answer by MoonPixie at 6:19 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Make sure he is getting enough one on one time with you and your SO. Plus praise when he does things right. Sometimes they go for the negative attention when they do not get enough positive attention. Make him your "big helper" so he can interact a lot with you and feel special. You can keep an eye on him more easily that way too. These things helped a lot when my second child came along. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:57 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Boys are always rogher than girls, remember that! Discipline him for his actions is my best advice. And explain to him that he cant hurt baby..
    Crissy9832

Answer by Crissy9832 at 6:59 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• A lot of older siblings tend to feel left out when they get younger siblings. Being the eldest of three I know that I did a lot of things that got me attention however it was all negative attention but to someone that age it is still attention and they like it. Get some one on one time with big brother and involve him in some things that you do with little sister. Make him feel like he is 100% involved in taking care of her too. Like big brothers are supposed to.
    AydinsMommy2311

Answer by AydinsMommy2311 at 9:17 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• haha yea i think so... i have 3 older brothers and they all did it to me no matter what age but the toddler age defently will do it.
    proudmommyof612

Answer by proudmommyof612 at 10:36 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Try taking time with him to teach him how to play with his sister. Show him how to do things and definately punish him when his behaviour is putting her in danger, explaine to him what could actually happen to her if he does these things.
    What kind of discipline do you give him when he hurts her?
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 2:29 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Also no siblings are not all like that. My 2 oldest are 16 months apart and he was so gentle with his baby sister, now it's another story, they're the same size and they wrestle, in fun and when it get's carried away they both have to stop.
    He spent most of his time kissing her and trying to hold her hand. I encouraged him to sing to her and he loved that he could stop her from crying that way.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 2:31 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I have a 3yo son and 7mth old daughter..and my son never tries to hurt her. he usually tries to play with her and give her things. So no all siblings arent like that, but u def need to nip that in the bud!
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 7:39 PM on Mar. 17, 2011