Do you ever "Hide" veggies in your meals to get your LO to eat them?

My DD went through a picky phase for about 3 months where she refused anything veggie related so I had to get creative and hide them in her foods. I'm curious what you might have come up with to hide veggies? I use cauliflower in mashed potatoes, stuffed penne noodles with garden peas, and put chopped spinach in everything from spagetti to meatloaf.

Kimedbs

Asked by Kimedbs at 6:15 PM on Mar. 16, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Good for you Mom! Balance is the key and all kids go through weird little food phases. My child won't eat meat; never has. I try to hide meat in with the veggies. lol. Don't sweat the bullying. I think you are right on track. I put carrots, celery and bell peppers into my meatloaf.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 8:14 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I did when my kids were toddlers. I use to puree coliflower and put it in the mac-n-cheese because thats all one wanted to eat.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:17 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Nope, my kids love veggies. If I find one (like brussel sprouts) that they won't eat we replace it with ones they will.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:21 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I puree zuchini into everything I can. it works especially well in pasta sauces and taco meat.
    bootsky

Answer by bootsky at 6:23 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Yes, I hid good foods in foods they liked. My favorite was lasagna and tomato sauce. I grew my own tomatoes and made tomato (?) sauce from them. I usually put zucchini, peppers, onions and anything else I could find to blend up with the tomatoes and canned it. Meatloaf was another one you could hide good veggies in. Since I am now a grandma, my daughter does the same for her children, since she knows what I did and it didn't hurt her any at all. LOL.
    tngrandma

Answer by tngrandma at 6:32 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I hide all sorts of veggies in pasta sauce, taco meat, mac and cheese. I usually try to match the color of the food or puree it so they don't notice. I also give them veggies on the side, but I figure there is nothing wrong with everyone getting more veggies, I always have a hard time getting enough in the day.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 6:38 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I have :) the only thing I cannot seem to get away with is putting peas in food. Both of my daughter somehow KNOW that they are in the food and won't eat it. Other than that I have had no problem hiding any other veggies.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 6:44 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• My son is living with autism, and has major hypersensitivities to texture, smell and taste. I hide cauliflower in the scrambled eggs, green veggies in the meatloaf or hamburgers, carrots in spaghetti sauce, and have yet to find a way to get him to eat potatoes outside of french fries.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 7:27 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I asked this question for fun creative ideas. This wasn't meant to be a debate on feeding your children. Thanks for the drama though ObbyDobbie. I have always presented veggies in their natural form and encouraged my child to try them, which except for that period of time she has and does gladly eat them. I hid the veggies simply so that she'd have a little more balance to her diet while still allowing her to explorie her toddler sense of control. How can you possibly equate that to feeding her junk? I don't believe in making food a big deal; I feel that's what contributes to eating disorders.
    Kimedbs

Comment by Kimedbs (original poster) at 6:35 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I hide things in everything, we deal with 2 children on the autism spectrum and have to be super creative with food. We make black bean brownies, carrot zuchini oatmeal cookies, squash pancakes and squash burgers weekly , as the kids are getting older I am telling them whats in the food and they are still eating it and even starting to try things strait up. I do not think theres a problem with it with it.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 8:21 PM on Mar. 16, 2011